Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP1242AG mac filtering knocks out lan

I've set up two wireless desktop PC's to connect to my AP1242AG access point, and from another (wired) machine I can see them on the LAN and share their files. But when I use mac address filters on the AP the wireless clients stop working on the LAN. In the AP I've tried including the mac addresses from other (wired) machines on the LAN but the wireless clients go awol. When I delete the mac address filtering the wireless clients comes back on the LAN again. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: AP1242AG mac filtering knocks out lan

Tony

If you are using WPA for you primary authentication MAC address filtering is not supported.

Note In Cisco IOS releases 12.3(4)JA and later, you cannot enable both MAC-address authentication and WPA-PSK.

From this Configuration Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.3_7_JA/configuration/guide/s37auth.html#wp1034916

If you want to restrict access by MAC address an ACL on the switch will work.

HTH

Bill

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Tony

If you are using WPA for you primary authentication MAC address filtering is not supported.

Note In Cisco IOS releases 12.3(4)JA and later, you cannot enable both MAC-address authentication and WPA-PSK.

From this Configuration Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.3_7_JA/configuration/guide/s37auth.html#wp1034916

If you want to restrict access by MAC address an ACL on the switch will work.

HTH

Bill

thanks for your help Bill, following your advice I worked out how to set mac authentication on the Client authentication settings. I'm glad I had this problem now becuase it's made me learn this new method, and what's good about it is that only clients with a pre-approved mac address can actually see the SSID of the AP. Clients not on the list can't even see the AP, never mind try to connect.

ps: I was only using WEP 40 bit beofre and I still don't understand why I had the problem I did but I've got round it now anyway.

Thanks again.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content