Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1242AG mesh without WLC

obachmann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

I have seven autonomous AP1242AG (c1240-k9w7-tar.124-25d). Can I configure them to a mesh without WLC?

AP_r1 -> AP_r2 -> AP_r3

/
Root-AP
       \

AP_l1 -> AP_l2 -> AP_l3

A cisco technician told me that's possible. But I cannot find any how to's.

Best regards

Olaf

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can do this with the IOS AP. the configuration on the main is root, and all the others will be a repeater.

Now do keep in mind that at every hop you are going to essentially lose half of the bandwidth. So I you start with a connection of 48M the next will be 24, then 12, and so forth.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can do this with the IOS AP. the configuration on the main is root, and all the others will be a repeater.

Now do keep in mind that at every hop you are going to essentially lose half of the bandwidth. So I you start with a connection of 48M the next will be 24, then 12, and so forth.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Steve.

Thanks for your suggestion. It works.

I use the 802.11a for backhaul and 802.11g for client traffic. For this I set the RAP in 802.11a to "Access Point" and all other APs to "Repeater" with a "parent configuration". In 802.11g I set all APs to "Access Point". For authentication I use WPA2 in A and G.

Best regards

Olaf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: