cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1252 with AIR-ANT5170P-R ?

jsalb
Level 1
Level 1

Can the 1252 be used in 802.11n mode with the 5 GHz 5170 diversity patch antenna? I only need to light up a section of my office (two intervening walls) and the 3 omni dipoles I am now using are marginal. Will the absence of the 3 antenna connection diminish performance?

4 Replies 4

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

You'll drop from 3x2 to 2x2 802.11n mode, which will affect data rates for 802.11n users. Realistically, unless this is a pure 802.11n environment, your clients aren't achieving full 802.11n speeds anyway so it won't drop noticeably.

Be sure to configure this on your 1252. Don't just swap out the antennas, otherwise it will continue to attempt to transmit on the third connector.

Also, have you considered just purchasing a patch antenna that has three internal antennas?

Who sells _patch_ antennas with 3 internal antennas? I've only seen omnidiectionals.

I guess I thought Cisco did, but I'm wrong. They sell diversity ones only, it seems.

If you want to attain 3x3 still, you could always just purchase 3 patch antennas and point them all the same direction. There's nothing magical about the combination antennas, they act the same way as multiple individual antennas.

TerraWave http://terrawave.com/ sells patch antennas (and other interesting stuff) specifically for the 1252 APs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: