Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP1262 disconnecting clients regularly

I have an AP 1262 that is often dropping the connection. It does it about every 20 minutes and only lasts for a few seconds but it is enough to disrupt the entire office. I've got it setup for WPA2/AES after changing it from WPA/TKIP and it has no effect. I'm using the 6.5dbi antenna and coverage is decent. One office (on the far end) has 3 out of 5 bars and it gets dropped just as much as the ones with 5 out of 5 bars. I'm out of ideas. The office backs up to a small airport so I'm hoping it's not an interference issue because there won't be any way to resolve that issue.

As a side note, they have a 2.4ghz wireless phone in the office that is also dropping calls. I'm not sure if they are connected because I haven't noticed if they are dropping at the same time. The device is less than 6 months old so it should have the latest firmware on it. I programmed a new AP1262 and installed it yesterday with a new antenna and put it in place and it's doing the same thing. I'd really appreciate any ideas/help on this one. Thanks!

21 REPLIES
VIP Purple

What is the software code you are running on this 1262 ? Test 2.4GHz & 5GHz band independantly & see the behaviour is same for the both band (ie client disconnect & reconnect at same time interval).

HTH

Rasika

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: AP1262 disconnecting clients regularly

Just to add. Since your right by an airport, you are probably running into radar and DFS is being affected. This would only affect your 5ghz using DFS channels. You should see this in the logs. If you do I would maybe disable the 5ghz and see. The 2.4 is a different issue.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

First, thanks for the replies. I need all the help I can get.

I don't have 5ghz enabled. I'm just using 2.4ghz. The software version is 12.4(25d)JA1 (I think that's what you were asking). I brought the 1262 and the antenna back to my office and connected it to a wireless laptop that is directly across the hall from my office and it has been running perfectly since last night...until 5 mins ago when it dropped the signal sitting right here in my office! I don't think it's the airport now.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I don't have 5ghz enabled. I'm just using 2.4ghz.

Why not?

2.4 Ghz is not ideal for "office use", in my opinion, because it only has three (3) non-overlapping channels.  If you are in an office block where there are a lot of wireless, you have a high chance of  your AP operating with other wireless and on the same channel.  This event is called co-channel interferrence and you can potentially see clients dropping off.  This gets worst if you are running autonomous (like what you have now).

5.0 Ghz is more suitable for the office because it has more non-overlapping channels and it's got higher speed.

I don't mind connecting a 5ghz antenna for testing purposes. I had trouble connecting droid phones to the 5ghz when we were in a testing environment. I have a large nursing home client (300+ beds) and we have an entire city block covered with 8-1262s in 2.4ghz mode and it has been flawless with no drops. I figured if it worked well there, certainly it would work well for these other folks, too.

VIP Purple

had trouble connecting droid phones to the 5ghz when we were in a testing environment.

This may be true depend the phone model. Most of them are not supporting 5GHz, but laptops, tablets supporting 5GHz

It is good idea to enable 5GHz band, so whoever got a device support dual band, can get connected on 5GHz (much clean band & get better throughput if you support 802.11n)      

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****        

Sounds good. I ordered a 5ghz antenna yesterday afternoon so I'll give that a test when it arrives. Hopefully we'll see more stability out of the connection. I don't care if their phones drop as long as their computers don't. Thanks for the info and I'll report back when I get the antenna up and running.

Unfortunately none of these answers worked. They are getting dropped off the 5ghz antenna and the 2.4ghz one now, too. Some of their computers don't even see the 5ghz signal at all. What could possibly make these computers and phone randonly drop off this 1262? I'm about to throw this thing in the trash and go with someone else. Does no one from Cisco have any ideas on this?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Unfortunately none of these answers worked. They are getting dropped off the 5ghz antenna and the 2.4ghz one now, too. Some of their computers don't even see the 5ghz signal at all. What could possibly make these computers and phone randonly drop off this 1262? I'm about to throw this thing in the trash and go with someone else. Does no one from Cisco have any ideas on this?

Turn off your APs.  Get a wireless laptop and walk around the place.  Identify neighboring wireless network.  How strong and how weak are they?

There are none. They own a giant piece of property next an airport. No neighbors. Just to be able to get a wireless signal for visitors, he's had to put Verizon 4g hotspots all over the office and those work better than this 1262!

VIP Purple

Pls provide (attach it as a txt file) your AP "show run" configuration to see if anything to be added or modified.

HTH

Rasika

Attached. It's a very simple config. Any help is appreciated. I just can't understand why the 5ghz is dropping, too.

VIP Purple

As per the given config, you have not enable 5GHz radio, it is shutdown (shown in red line). Please enable it & advertise SSID on that radio.(show in blue text)

interface Dot11Radio1

no ip address

no ip route-cache

shutdown

!

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm

antenna gain 0

dfs band 3 block

channel dfs

station-role root

ssid OZ-NASHVILLE

Also noticed some unwanted commands on your config, your Gig 0 interface config with an IP, which is not right

interface GigabitEthernet0

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

no ip route-cache

duplex auto

speed auto

no keepalive

bridge-group 1

Also in 2.4GHz band you have statically select the channel (which is not good if that channel is congested)

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid OZ-NASHVILLE

antenna gain 7

speed  basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 basic-11.0 basic-6.0 basic-9.0 basic-12.0

basic-18.0 basic-24.0 basic-36.0 basic-48.0 basic-54.0 m0. m1. m2. m3. m4. m5. m

6. m7. m8. m9. m10. m11. m12. m13. m14. m15.

channel 2437

station-role root

Also under SSID configuration, I would get rid of "infrastructure-ssid optional" command if you simply have normal wireless clients

dot11 ssid OZ-NASHVILLE

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa version 2

guest-mode

infrastructure-ssid optional

wpa-psk ascii 7 something_in_hex

In summary I preferred you do  a clean configuration (IMPORTANT:You should have console access to this ap if you erasing the config like this) by erasing the current config & put a configuration like below. Type the your wireless access password instead of in the below configuration.

AP#erase startup-config

Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]

[OK]

Erase of nvram: complete

AP#reload

System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: no

Proceed with reload? [confirm]

dot11 ssid OZ-NASHVILLE

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa version 2

guest-mode

wpa-psk ascii

!

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid OZ-NASHVILLE

no shutdown

!

interface Dot11Radio1

ssid OZ-NASHVILLE

no shutdown

!

interface BVI1

ip address 192.168.88.200 255.255.255.0

!

ip default-gateway 192.168.88.1

Once you have clean up the configuration, you can disable radio 0 & measure the stability of 5GHz (radio 1).  Do a test like that & let us know how it goes.

HTH

Rasika

***** Pls rate all useful responses ****

I turned the 5ghz side off. I don't need or want to use it. I need the 2.4ghz to work. Half the devices in their office can't connect to a 5ghz device so there's no need to continue with it. Do you see anything on the 2.4 side that would cause it to disconnect like this? I may just have to get some other type of device. This thing has been nothing but trouble since day 1.

VIP Purple

Hi,

If that is the case you can do the below as highlighted in my above response & see.

1. Remove static channel in 2.4GHz

AAP1(config)#int d0

AAP1(config-if)#channel ?

<1-2462>         One of: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 2412 2417 2422 2427 2432

2437 2442 2447 2452 2457 2462

least-congested  Scan for best frequency

width            Bandwidth used

AAP1(config-if)#channel least-congested

2. Remove "infrastructure SSID optional" line from SSID config

AAP1(config)#dot11 ssid OZ-NASHVILLE

AAP1(config-ssid)# no infrastructure-ssid optional

3. Remove IP config on your Gig 0 Interface

AAP1(config)#interface GigabitEthernet0

AAP1(config-if)no ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

Let's see this make any difference

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses.

I'll give this a shot today and start testing hopefully tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!

I've made the changes you've requested and it worked fine for 1/2 a day with one person on the AP. We've added 3 other users to it and the first computer has dropped once already and one of the Mac laptops has had to reconnect 3 times already. Any other suggestions? I'm about to lose my mind with this thing.

VIP Purple

Nothing much we can do in config wise. I would suggest to configure the Radio1 (5GHz) & advertise this SSID on that band as well. So whoever able to connect in 5GHz will have better experience. It won't harm your other clients in 2.4GHz band & help to reduce congestion in 2.4GHz band which will helps in your situation.

Rasika

The 5ghz won't work in this location for us. Is there a way to enable some type of logging to see if we can get some errors to work with?

VIP Purple

I understand 5GHz will not cover your entire area. Still enable it, it will helps whoever closeby to this AP will connect on that band rather 2.4GHz (where you have most of issues)

"Show logging" should provide you some basic information.

If you want to know few more helpful debug command pls refer this document

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-21389

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

They don't want to pay for the 5ghz antenna since they don't want to use it. I only loaned them one of mine. Thanks for the help so far.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content