ap and log on to it, i see that

wep is enable, but , why can i connect

to it when i have disable the wep

on my client , it shouldnt work

or is it someting i dont understand ?

and on the ap , i can choose optional and mandantory

wep , whats the diff ?

maybe its easier to use mac filtering ? but

is that any secure still , some one can sniff packets i guess ?

regards Thomas

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

That is because your AP is allowing Open Authentication. WIth Open authentication, even if the WEP key is not configured you will be allowed access to the network. Choose Mandatory option on the AP and then you will see the difference. Clients with no wep will be denied access to the network.

I think your problem with not getting DHCP when WEP key is on (both AP and client) is probably is a typo error in the WEP key. Please doublecheck the WEP key entered on both AP and ACU utility.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

hi again!

Well i have double checked the wep and its ok, on ap and client, i use a 128bit , any one else got that problem i have now ?

it seems to work when i change wep to 64bit , but it should work with 128 i guess ?

any one got the same problem ?

it seems to work when i change wep to 64bit , but it should work with 128 i guess ?

Not applicable

i was having the exact same problem before i changed my wep keys on both ends. check your wep key.. you can get a wep key generator by searching google for '128 bit wep key generator' put that new key in and BEFORE you apply it to your access point, read and type in the new wep key in your clients. read and type two at a time. mark it off by twos if necessary, but make sure that they are both exactly the same.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card