Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Apple TV- WLC 2504

I have not been able to get Apple TV to work with a wlan on a 2504 WLC.  Below is my configuration.  Both the Apple TV and the i-devices are on the same subnet.  They connect to different SSID's/WLAN, but both WLANS map to the same segment.  On the i-devices, you do not ever see the Airplay icon.  Any ideas? Thanks.

Apple TV- Connecting WPA2 PSK to SSID associated with vlan 900

i-device- Connecting to 802.1X SSID associated to vlan 900

Both devices receive an IP address on the same subnet

WLC

-Broadcast Forwarding enabled

-AP Multicast mode- Multicast- Address- 239.255.0.12

-Multicast Enabled

-IGMP Snooping Enabled

-mDNS- Apple TV and Air tunes are checked.  The mDNS profile is selected under both wlans.

17 REPLIES

Hi Man, can you check which

Hi Man,

can you check which mode are the access points configured ( Local, Flexconnect ), I'll be waiting for your response.

regards,

Alberto B.

Local

Local

are you sure that the SSID's

are you sure that the SSID's are getting connected through the same interface, same subnet??

can you sent me the range of IP addresses, included the device IP address and the Apple TV IP address?

can you do PING from the device to the Apple TV?

I'll be waiting for your response.

regards,

Alberto B.

Yes, positive that the SSID's

Yes, positive that the SSID's are getting mapped to the same vlan and subnet.

That subnet is 10.200.0.0 /16

Apple TV IP Address - 10.200.6.192 /16

i-device IP address -  10.200.6.47 /16

I can ping the Apple TV from the iphone.  It is an Iphone 5S.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Post your show run-config.

Post your show run-config.  Seems like something isn't setup right.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have attached is the show

I have attached is the show run-config

VIP Purple

HiMakesure "AirTune Services"

Hi

Makesure "AirTune Services" added to your mDNS profile. I cannot see it in your configuration.

Even though below is not exactly match your setup, it may help you.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/03/27/configuring-mdns-on-wlc-7-4/

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

I did the Air Tunes Service

I did the Air Tunes Service to the mDNS profile.  This is all on the same subnet.  mDNS should not even be required I would not think.

Unless you have multicast

Unless you have multicast enabled on the infrastructure, mDNS is required. 

Scott

-Scott

Hello Scott,Are you saying

Hello Scott,

Are you saying that if you utilze mDNS, that you can use AP multicast-multicast mode even if multicast is not enabled on the wired infrastructure?  Can you please clarify?

My clients are on the same wlan.  I have this working using unicast mode, but I am concerned about the impact that has on the WLC and the network.  I do not want to enable multicast in our core justy for Apple TV if I do not have to.

A little bit of history. Back

A little bit of history. Back in v7.2, there are docs that require multicast in irder to get bonjour working on the same subnet. With the introduction of bonjour gateway, the multicast requirement is not there. Bonjour isn't multicast but it was enabled to get things to work. If you have it working without multicast enabled, then there is no need to enable multicast. Anyways with multicast, you can enable that on a specific subnet and don't have to enable it everywhere. 

Scott

-Scott

It is my understanding that

It is my understanding that you have to enable multicast on the segment that the WLC is on, and the segments that the AP's are on.  If your AP's are distributed across many networks, this can be a lot of config for multicast.

We have it working with mutli-cast-unicast AP mode.  I am just concerned with the load this puts on the WLC and network, if any.

Re: Hello Scott,Are you saying

We have gotten mDNS  to work with Chromecast and AirPlay, with a mix of WLANS, Wired & Wireless hosts/devices.

We have Enabled Multicast on each WLAN as well as Globally, and on each WLAN we have enabled Multicast as well as mDNS Snooping with a MDNS Profile specified that has all of our needed mDNS Services added to it.

However - In order to get it to work flawlessly we have DISABLED mDNS Global Snooping on the mDNS > Controller > General page.  With Global Snooping enabled we found there was intermittent discovery of Wired or Wireless mDNS services. i.e. Apple TV would show on an iPhone but then dissapear, only to return 5 minutes later.  We were also not able to do any Chromecast from iPhone to wired Chromecast devices (Audio and Ultra) with this setting enabled.  Also WeMo devices could not be set up on the WLAN.

After Disabling mDNS Global Snooping on the General page, but leaving it enabled on the WLAN Advanced pages for each WLAN all the mDNS proxying and discovery began working perfectly between Android & iPhone Wireless devices and all Wired devices.

This was a big discovery for our situation.

We are running Cisco WLAN Controller 2504 with 8.3.112 firmware.

Re: Hello Scott,Are you saying

Let me play around with this later in the week and do some testing. I was curious more on Chromecast devices on wireless and not able to cast except for YouTube. My ATV has never had any issues with my setup but it doesn't hurt to try different things:)

-Scott
-Scott

You have one AP for testing,

You have one AP for testing, so put the Apple TV and the iDevice on the same SSID and make sure the SSID is mapped to a single interface. See if that works.  If it does, create a new mDNS profile like Rasika mentioned. You only need AirPlay and AirTunes and enable that profile on both SSIDs. See if that works. 

Scott

-Scott

I know for sure that both

I know for sure that both SSID's are mapped to the same interface.  I will try putting both of them on the same SSID though to see if that makes a difference.

Multicast is not enabled on the infrastructure side.

I moved this same

I moved this same configuration to a 5508, but change the AP multicast mode from mulitcast-multicast, to multicast-unicast, and it worked.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content