cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APs disassociate when WAN failover happens

lukeprimm
Level 1
Level 1

we have a number of remote branch offices with HREAP access points. Each  office has an MPLS link back to the main office where the WLC's are.  We have IP SLA setup on the switch so that when the MPLS link goes down, a VPN tunnel is built over the internet link via the edge ASA.  All routes are handled via OSPF.

The problem is this, when the failover happens to the VPN, everything reroutes correctly but when the MPLS comes back up, the access points dont reroute, they continue to try and talk via the VPN tunnel.  I have to power cycle each one to get it to rejoin the WLC over the MPLS. 

Anyone know why this might happen? thanks

1 Reply 1

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am wondering. Are your access points on a different network from the rest of your devices. This sounds more like a routing issue to me. The ap is a pretty simple device on how it finds the WLC. The AP will send a bradcast to the WLC and the WLC will respond. After that routing takes over ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card