cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Authenticate 2*3850 WLC on an ACS with on IP ?

dmoebs001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all !

I am currently looking at the Cisco 3850 Catalyst+WLC. I saw that they could be stacked, but you can only have 50 APs registered.

What happens if you link 2 3850 using HSRP ? I suppose you'll be able to register up to 100 APs, but when you want to authenticate your 3850s on an CS, will you be able to register only the "virtual IP" of both devices ? I mean, can you authenticate the 2 devices as one device on the ACS ? (I hope I was able to explain my problem !)

Thanks a lot for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Interesting question :)

I do not think you can do this 

Two 3850 act as two WLCs & have to register them using each of them wireless management IP on ACS.

But this setup will add complications when defining wireless user subsets (as one 3850 will be the STP root & HSRP primary, so both cannot handle same vlan traffic at given time).

So my suggestion is NOT to do HSRP when enable WLC functionality on it. you can still use 100AP even those two switches acting as two different stacks (without HSRP)

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Interesting question :)

I do not think you can do this 

Two 3850 act as two WLCs & have to register them using each of them wireless management IP on ACS.

But this setup will add complications when defining wireless user subsets (as one 3850 will be the STP root & HSRP primary, so both cannot handle same vlan traffic at given time).

So my suggestion is NOT to do HSRP when enable WLC functionality on it. you can still use 100AP even those two switches acting as two different stacks (without HSRP)

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Thanks for your answer ! It is quite what I expected... And if you stack both 3850, you'll be able to activate only one WLC ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card