Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication and Roaming issue with autonomous system

Hello,

I have three Autonomous AP´s in a small office running voice applications, all of them are connected to the same infrastructure switch and they have same configuration, voice Vlan is configure to open authentication. I have two models of AP 1252 and 1262 and I paste Radio configuration below.

First issue: During calls users are facing problems when roaming between AP´s, and eventually calls are dropped.

Second issue: Sometimes one of these AP´s(1252) lose all transmit signal and when return I got authentication error on log.

ap1# *Mar  1 10:38:07.719: %DOT11-7-AUTH_FAILED: Station c0cb.3818.1a06 Authentication failed

Roaming Question: Has someone had a good experience with autonomous AP and voice application, with roaming ? how can I setup my AP´s to roaming smoothly ?

Transmit question: This always happened with de same AP, and I already checked all infrastructure configuration and physical installation. Does someone think it is a case to change my equipament ?

dot11 ssid VOZ

vlan 10

authentication open

mbssid guest-mode

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

encryption vlan 10 key 1 size 40bit 7 3C21DC1F840D transmit-key

encryption vlan 10 mode wep mandatory

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm

ssid VOZ

channel 2437

interface Dot11Radio0.10

encapsulation dot1Q 10

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 10

bridge-group 10 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 10 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 10 source-learning

no bridge-group 10 unicast-flooding

bridge-group 10 spanning-disabled

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Authentication and Roaming issue with autonomous system

Eder:

WDS in your situation is not useful.

Just like what George metnioned, WDS is used to do some caching if you are using WPA-Enterprise with radius server. Because the auth time with the radius server may cause significant delay to some real-time applications (voice for example) the WDS caches the keys which makes auth process faster when a client roams.

In your situation you do not use a radius server so WDS is not going to help.

Hope it is clear.

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
4 REPLIES

Hello,

Have you made a site survey? are you sure about the RF requirements if met or not? (cell edge RSSI, channel overlapping...etc).

What phone models are you using? different vendors have different requirements for their wiphones. you must check the corresponding documentation for the handset about the requirements.

At the mean time I suggest that you check channel overlapping and make sure that when the phones roam they roam to an AP with a different channel, not same channel. Also if you did not conduct a site survey yet you need to do so in order to make sure that your RF is optimized for wiphon usage. Make also sure that there are no sources of noise or interference around.

Make also sure that the configuration among all APs is identical. If there is any difference with SSID name and/or the WEP key the roaming will not be successful and the client will disconnect and connect again when it roams. To eliminate this you may consider removing configuration from the problematic AP and configure it from scratch.

HTH

Amjad

Hello,

Thanks for your reply Amjad.

We are using Cisco 7925G model and I´ve already schedule a new site survey to verify RF requirements.

What about WDS ? Does it help ?

WDS will come into play if you are using 802.1X security. Its a means of caching the security key when roaming.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Eder:

WDS in your situation is not useful.

Just like what George metnioned, WDS is used to do some caching if you are using WPA-Enterprise with radius server. Because the auth time with the radius server may cause significant delay to some real-time applications (voice for example) the WDS caches the keys which makes auth process faster when a client roams.

In your situation you do not use a radius server so WDS is not going to help.

Hope it is clear.

Amjad

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content