Views
Helpful
Replies

Bad LWAP vs Good Standalone AP Coverage

Gary Roche
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have just installed our first CT2504.

After install I have found a dramatic drop in signal strength compared to the wireless survey result obtained.

All of our site surveys include real world testing using an AP, in this case a AP1041N.

In doubt I retested a section using an AP1041N in the same location as one of the recently deployed LAP1041N.

In the same location a LAP1041N has between -10 and -20dbi difference in SNR compared to the test AP1041N.

For example locations that tested with -60dbi using an AP1041N have little to no coverage using the LAP1041N installed.

This applies irrespective of the WLC automatic control over Tx power or manually setting the LAP TX to the highest level.

Am I missing something or is there a known issue regarding this?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
After install I have found a dramatic drop in signal strength compared to the wireless survey result obtained.

Was the site survey done when the building was devoid of people? 

I agree with Leo. If you see a dramatic drop in signal and an increase in noise from when you performed a survey, what was the difference from then and now? Was this new construction? How long ago was it surveyed?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The site survey was performed with the business operational so everyone working and present.

The WLC and accesspoint was installed and tested while the building was empty.

The install was at an existing customer site so not a new build.

The original survey was performed a month prior.

Something to bare in mind though is the fact that the original AP1041N that is used for testing/confirming site survey results was used again along side the installed LAP1041N to confirm original site survey results.

The AP1041N produced the same results as the original day the site survey was performed.

While the deployed LAP1041N's underperform.

Gary,

Okay that makes it clear. I have never surveyed with the 1040's so I really can't comment. When I have surveyed with the other APs (1130, 1242, 1252, 1142, 1260, 3500) my results have been close to the lwapp/capwap implementation. Did you set the TX power on the autonomous 1040? Can you post the ios configuration so we can see how it was configured.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Is "Tx Power Control" set to automatic or static?

Is "Dynamic Channel Assignment" set to automatic or static?

What is the firmware of your controller?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card