Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Base station or Access Point?????

I am going to go wireless at my home office. My ISP is wireless using 350 PCI with a cable run directly from the Desktop PC card to the antenna mounted on my house. I'm running W2K (internet sharing from WAN to LAN (DHCP)) with a second nic going to a Linksys switch in which my laptop is wired to. My question is can I get by using the AIR-BSE342 as my access point or do I need the 'true' access point for the extra $200. If I can get 80 feet at 10 I'll be satisfied. If I'm correct all I would have to do then if the base station will work is to run a cable from my switch to the base station and static ip the base station (which will then be DHCP for my laptop). Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES

Re: Base station or Access Point?????

AIR-BR342 is EOL since the end of Feb. See http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/witc/ao350ap/prodlit/1570_pp.htm for details. I would still go with the 350 access point if I were you.

The APs are cheap now (after the price reduction). The Captive Antenna model AIR-AP352E2C will give you the 80 feet you want if you put a AIR-PCM352 in your laptop.

Or, get the AIR-AP352E2R-A-K9 and a good antenna (less than $50) and you can work outside too.

You can see a summary of the differences between the Cisco APs and "Brand L" at: www.bluemodal.com/aironet.html (and check prices)

The consumer-grade APs are cheap, and some are well-built, but they all have less power and fewer options.

Matthew Wheeler

I was told by Cisco that there are no outdoor antennas for their 352 access point (AIR-AP352E2R-A-K9). I ordered a 352 AP, but had to go with a indoor AP diversity antenna. Are the outdoor antennas you referred to another brand? The 352 is not going to be used as a wireless bridge, just a access point for a small LAN.

Thanks

Terry

Our supplier on Friday gave me prices for both, and his price is $33 difference with AP's at well under $600, buy the AP.

The antenna options that Cisco gives you represent less than 1% of what's available after-market.

Matthew Wheeler

Blue Modal

Views
Helpful
Replies