Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Basic question about multiple AP's and channel selection

I have approximately 10 AP's (Aironet 1240G) which are to be deployed one of my office floors. We looked at a floor diagram and made sure that we ordered enough of them to completely saturate the floor with wireless coverage. There are some AP's which are probably only 50' from each other. It is a little overkill actually.

I have put a basic configuration on the switch so that there are two different SSID's on the AP (one for a production WLAN, and the other for a Guest WLAN). Each SSID is associated with a different VLAN.

What I would like to know is what do about channels for the AP's? Each AP will be independently configued and controlled.

I understand that there is a way to control which channels each AP uses, but I am not familiar with the commands or the best practices for how to configure the AP's

Should I do something like make sure each AP is using a different channel than its nearest adjacent neighbor? Would someone mind sharing what the command to do that is, and where it is applied?

I read through some of the archives and saw people mentioning to set "non overlapping channels", and to configure them to use channels 1,6,11. I guess I dont understand what is meant by that.

Do you manually set one AP on channel 1, then set its neighbor to use 6, and another neighbor to use 11, and then you keep that up?

What is the worst-case scenario on what happens when you do have AP's too close to each other set on the same channel?

I am happy to read through documentation if someone wouldnt mind pointing me to it. I am still trying to understand the concept, and then I should be able to understand the documentation that came with the AP.

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: Basic question about multiple AP's and channel selection

So your deploying autonomous access Points. If this was a Controller based deployment, it would actually manage the channels for you dynamically.

But what you really want to do is see you APs doing something like this:

(imagine each number represents an AP, and it channel)

1 6 11 1

6 11 1 6

11 1 6 11

1 6 11 1

This is an Autonmous configuration guide. I think it has a small section on channel assignment. If you're doing this manually, I think you specify the actual frequency to use in the CLI instead of channel number.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_3g_JA/configuration/guide/s43rf.html

So from the CLI under the Dot11Radio0 you'd do something like "channel 2412" for Channel 1... 2437 for 6, 2462

for 11....

If you have APs next to each other on the same channel, you are likely to have clients interferring with each other.

2 REPLIES
Silver

So your deploying autonomous access Points. If this was a Controller based deployment, it would actually manage the channels for you dynamically.

But what you really want to do is see you APs doing something like this:

(imagine each number represents an AP, and it channel)

1 6 11 1

6 11 1 6

11 1 6 11

1 6 11 1

This is an Autonmous configuration guide. I think it has a small section on channel assignment. If you're doing this manually, I think you specify the actual frequency to use in the CLI instead of channel number.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_3g_JA/configuration/guide/s43rf.html

So from the CLI under the Dot11Radio0 you'd do something like "channel 2412" for Channel 1... 2437 for 6, 2462

for 11....

If you have APs next to each other on the same channel, you are likely to have clients interferring with each other.

Community Member

Thank you for your help!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content