Helpful
Replies

Basic question : why laptop/PC can not work as a AP

vinodjad1234
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Experts,

I have very basic question about wireless communication :

Access point has got same capability as Laptop has with wireless card however AP has capability to configure with SSID and broadcast it as a hub however Laptop has got wireless card though , it can not act as a AP.

just confused why is that so ?

is it related to CSMA/CA mechanism ?

what is that extra feature or capability AP has got in terms of hardware or mechanism difference ?

I know , its very basic however it sometime confuse me  ?

It would be really helpful for me once this is getting clarified and hope this is right forum where i can ask this expecting with more technical explanation

Thanks ,

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Clients can act as access points. It requires softwear to do so. There are a few programs that do this and a number of hacking programs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks George,

I understood that it is possible to make Clients as access points by using software however i am very keen to know by default why it does not work ....

other way around , what is that software enable in clients which will allow to become as a access point ?

there must be some technical cause which will not allow client to become AP.

Windows 7 i understand give you that ability and on a MAC you can enable it as well .. Here is how to do it on a MAC

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-make-your-mac-a-wifi-access-point.html

Make sense?

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Yes you can configure Laptop as an access point. If you want to know how. See the below link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADpHIeBSFUk

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: