Level 1
Level 1

1) I have 5 buildings

2) They can not see to each other

3) But they can see a mast in a mountain

4) Distance between buildings and the mountain is 3 km

Question is...

How many BR350 do I have to use?

How many and what type of antennas do I have to use?

I need your help!!!

Thanks a lot...!

5 Replies 5

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

The "Best option" is if all building have a line of sight and build a meshed point to point network.

You do not have this option as you have already stated that they do not have a line of sight.

Given this you next best option is a spoke and hub point to multipoint design

Root Bridge on the tower on the mountain with a omni direction antenna or a directional one if all of the buildings fall in the coverage area of the selected antenna

The one bridge per building.

If you expect a High level of traffic then you can start to break this down to smaller radio networks, up to 3

For example

Have root bridge number 1 on the tower using channel 1 and building 1 and 2 associate to this

Have root bridge number 2 also on the tower but use ch 6 and a different ssid have buliding 3 and 4 associate to it

Have root bridge number 3 on the tower using ch 11 and a 3rd ssid and have building 5 associate to it

Then break up your broadcast domain via a router at the tower site and the 3 radio networks in different subnets

For an even higher level of traffic then use a router at each of the 5 buildings so broadcasts on the buildings lan are not sent out the radio network and only the traffic that needs to.

As you can you can scale up your network as needed

Thanks a lot for your answer...

But I have got another question for you...

I am not so sure of what find of antenna should I use.

Consider that there is a distance of 3 km from the mountain to the last building...

help me please...

Thanks!

It all depends on the area you need to cover.

Here is the spec sheets to the antenna avaiable I hope this will help you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

You also should use the range calculator to expriement with different antenna combinations and coax etc

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/102/wlan/faq-hardware-us-calc.html

Another good resource for this is your Cisco reseller or account team who will be able to recommend local system intergration services to help you.

manjeets
Level 3
Level 3

SOcchiogrosso
Level 4
Level 4

Without LoS a wireless solution might not be the best solution. Why not consider some type of terrestrial circuit (fiber, Ethernet). Maybe run the wireless solution as a backup if you really wanted to implement it.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-- CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNA: Security/Wireless Blog: http://ccie-or-null.net/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card