Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Best Practice for NM-WLC ?

In the last couple of weeks, I have been trying to setup a NM-AIR-WLC6-K9 on a 2811 router.

I tried various setup combinations as described in :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a00807112e2.shtml

My network is very simple (just a few subnets with a router on a stick in between) , and initially I wanted to place all the wireless clients in the same subnet as the wired clients.

The only way I could get that to work, was by using BVI and sub-interfaces on the 2811 hosting the NM-WLC. (This 2811 is not the default gateway / router-on-a-stick. I have another router that enables routing between subnets.)

While that works, I have a problem with SNMP replies packets that get sent from the NM-WLC to wired/wireless subnet.

Finally, I have come to the conclusion (perhaps incorrectly, and therefore this post), that the best way to set wireless clients is :-

1. To have them in their own separate subnets.

2. Have a separate subnet for the WLC

So for example:-

Data Net :- 10.1.1.0/24 (wired)

Voice Net :- 10.1.2.0/24 (wired)

Wireless Net :- 10.1.3.0/24 (wifi)

Network for WLC Management and AP :- 10.1.10.0/24 (wlan-controller subnet)

Can anyone who uses a NM-WLC please share their thoughts ?

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Best Practice for NM-WLC ?

I haven't worked with the NM-WLC specifically, but in general it is best practice to have your network management addresses on a different vlan from your client traffic.

You should be able to dump your wireless client trafic onto your main data subnet if you really want to (although I generally don't), but definitely keep the management vlan isolated.

I have the same hardware setup and I'm having issues as well. I'd like to see what you and others have done.

I can't figure out how to get traffic from outside the router to enter the WLC. I've configured my int service-module wlan-controller 1/0 with an IP, and then configured the controller mgmt interface IP on the same subnet.

If I plug my laptop into the router, I cannot browse to the WLC GUI or even ping it.

I did figure out eventually how to get everyting working as per my requirments.

I now have wireless clients on the same subnet as wired, BUT the WLC is in its own subnet.

I had to use BVI's to get everything to work correctly. I'll post the config shortly

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content