Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practice "One SSID for everything"

Philip91
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

we switched from ACS to ISE and now we want to have just two SSIDs for alle Business Needs:

I´m not sure if this is the right or best way to do it.

One SSID is for Guest Network and also for BYOD Registration.

The second SSID is for BYOD and Company Devices (LAptop ipad iphone....). But we have also cisco 7925g which should get and client cert and then also connect to that ssid. In the old setup it was an seperate SSID with CCKM enabled. Now because of campatibilty i had to disable cckm. Also the new SSId would have CLient band select enabled, which should be good for voice, right ?

With your expirience is it a good idea to but all clients in 1 SSID ?

Is Wireless Voice working fine without cckm ?

What is your recommendation for that setup regarding ssid and voice/video configuration specially 802.11 settings and CAC

Thanks for help

Kind regards

Philip

6 Replies 6

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I will suggest to use seperate ssid for Data and Voice.

you usually must enable CCKM with Voice, because CCKM caches the key and allows for faster roaming (which is good for voice). If you will not enable cckm then you get troubles while phonecall roaming.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

okay i will use a seperate hidden ssid for voice to prevent issues.

can you give me some advice about the CAC configuration ?

how should i design the qos settings because on laptops and iphone we have also jabber and webex so both data and voice ssid with platinium?

is it useful to use avc to mark the voice and signalling traffic ?

is there any instruction how avc work and with traffic will be marked ( upstream, downstream ) ?

Ashish Chandra
Level 1
Level 1

Its always a good practice to keep Voice and Data on a seperate SSID.

If you use the same SSID your call may get disconnected or not allowed to connect if there is no supported rate available.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A lot of vendors will suggest also to have one SSID if possible, but the rule of thumb is 3-4 max.  The main issue is the differences required for specific WLAN's, which isn't just for Data and Voice, but you also have to look at mDNS, multicast, 802.11r, DTIM's, MFP, etc.  You can combine all devices to use one, but all the features/setting will be the same, which isn't ideal all the time.  There are attributes which you can set from ISE to push out to the WLC(s), but its the other unique values that you need to research and understand.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Philip91
Level 1
Level 1

okay i will use a seperate hidden ssid for voice to prevent issues.

can you give me some advice about the CAC configuration ?

how should i design the qos settings because on laptops and iphone we have also jabber and webex so both data and voice ssid with platinium?

is it useful to use avc to mark the voice and signalling traffic ?

is there any instruction how avc work and with traffic will be marked ( upstream, downstream ) ?

Kitri Waterman
Level 1
Level 1
You are thinking in terms of functions for your SSIDs, but you may also want to think in terms of the physical wifi. For example, some split off 2.4 Ghz into 1 SSID and 5 Ghz into another SSID. This is an easier approach then trying to mess with band steering and so forth. All depends on your needs.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card