Views
Helpful
Replies

Best solution

edgar.vargas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have some problems with our Wifi network; we need to give support to around 800 PC connections to the wireless LAN.

The data transfer is very low however in our current network the connection get lose or not respond on many PCs.

We would like to move to an enterprise solution and we would like to know how many user can service this AP.

Could you help me to know how many connections could the aironet 1260 or 3500 series support?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Maybe with this information you could have a better idea of our needs.

APs that support autonomous IOS are the 1130/1140, 1240/1250.

APs that support autonomous IOS and 802.11n are the 1140 and the 1250.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Could you help me to know how many connections could the aironet 1260 or 3500 series support?

Cisco recommends no more than 25 clients successfully associated per access point, however, this doesn't stop anyone from going higher.  I've seen someone with 35 clients to an AP and it works normally.

1.  You mentioned 3500 and 1260.  Be aware that both models do not (yet) support autonomous IOS so you'll need to consider WLC.  IF you are, then a 2100 is not a good idea for an environment supporting 800 PCs.  Think about the 4400 or the 5508.  Frankly, I'd go for the 5508.

2.  Before you embark down this road, make sure you get a comprehensive wireless site survey done.  I can't stress the important of this activity as this can spell out how well is your signal going to propagate.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks.

Hi thanks,

I was not thinking in any wireless controller.

I read the next on the AP FAQ,

Q. How many clients can associate to the AP?

A. The AP has the physical capacity to handle 2048 MAC addresses, but, because the AP is a shared medium and acts as a wireless hub, the performance of each user decreases as the number of users increases on an individual AP. Ideally, not more than 24 clients can associate with the AP because the throughput of the AP is reduced with each client that associates to the AP.

Our wireless network is actually to test wireless devices connectivity, so the clients will be  associate only for 5-10 minutes, the test is done in less than a minute and send around 500kb of data, the rest of the time the connection does not transmit anything, just is associate to the AP.

Our current max of clients on test phase is around 800 at the same time. Today we had a arrange of 4 AP small bussines and we want to move to a new enterprice AP. We thing on these AP 3500, 1260 and 1240AG.

I was looking for an AP standalone and act as DHCP to provide IP address.

Your statement of "Be aware that both models do not (yet) support autonomous IOS so you'll need to consider WLC" means tat this do not have that capability.

Thanks

APs that support autonomous IOS are the 1130/1140, 1240/1250.

APs that support autonomous IOS and 802.11n are the 1140 and the 1250.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the ratings.  Glad to be of some useful assistance.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card