Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Best SSID Practices for really old devices on WEP (I realize the irony)

So first let me say, I realize the irony of asking for best practices to setup a WEP SSID on my 5508 controllers.  THat being said, I have multiple sites with extremely old scan guns that only do 104bit wep.  I plan on locally switching this SSID and using static WEP 104bit key with MAC authentication, and then ACLing to limit my inherent security issues/exposure once someone compromises my WEP key.  So my question is this:

I believe the SSID should be set up per below.  Anyone see something I should change to make this work with really crappy/old radios?

802.11b/g only

No Multicast VLAN

Broadcast SSID

Flex Connect Local switching

Learn Client IP address

Diagnostic Channel - disabled

Aironet DISABLED ----> QUESTION should I enable Aironet so I can get Diagnostic Channel for troubleshooting?

Session Time out Disabled

Client Exclusion Disabled

Passive Client Disabled

Static Tunneling Disabled

Scan Defer Priority 4,5,6

Scan Defer Time 100ms (Thinking I should take this one up)

DTIM Period 1ms

No DHCP overides

No MFP

No load Balancing or Band Select

No NAC

No Voice

No Client Profiling

No WMM

Coverage Hole Detection Enabled

Peer to Peer Blocking Disable

• Getting Started with Wireless
4 REPLIES

Re: Best SSID Practices for really old devices on WEP (I realize

That should be fine the scan defer is for if the AP heard traffic I. Those up categories it backs off that 100ms before it goes off channel to scan.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Would you all enable the aironet extensions so that I could do the diagnostic channel for debugging?  Or would you leave it disabled? 

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Best SSID Practices for really old devices on WEP (I realize the

Disable Aeronet IE at all cost. 

looks ok

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Views
Helpful
Replies