Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Best way to disable 802.11b

Hi,

I'm thinking about restricting 802.11b devices on my wireless networks and was wondering what is the best way to do so. As far as I am aware I can do it by either selecting "802.11a/g only" as the radio policy for each WLAN (Not shure what effect this will have on 802.11n though) or by disabling the following data rates 5.5mbs and 11mbs.

I'm wanting to continue providing support for 802.11g,n devices both 2.5ghz & 5ghz for n

WLC Software versions 6.0.199.4 and 7.0.220.0

Any thoughts?

Dylan

Everyone's tags (1)
6 REPLIES

Re: Best way to disable 802.11b

Best practice would be to disable everything below 11m, this would still allow b clients at this point. What you could so is set 12 as mandatory. This will stop any client from associating that doesn't support this rate, and still allow g/n on the 2.4.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Stephen,

What if I just make 12 mandatory? I'm concerned that if I disable everything below 11 and not just 5.5 & 11 then I am reducing the range of my AP's?

Re: Best way to disable 802.11b

That is true, you will decrease the cell size but that is a good thing. You want the clients to roam before it starts transmitting at those low data rates

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

That would be fine for thoses clients that can roam, but I am concerned about the clients on the peripheral of the wireless coverage. Could I acheive 802.11b restriction by just making 12 mandatory?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

If you have an 802.11b client, go ahead an make 12mbps Manadatory and test. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Ok, I've done some testing and found that if I set 12mbps to Mandatory and everything else to Supported then the 802.11b clients are unable to associate and the 802.11a,g clients are still able to associate, authenticate fully.

Thanks for the input guys.

Dylan

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content