Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Best Wireless Bridge Option

Hopefully someone here can help...

I'm in the process of extending our office network to a building across the street (150 feet away with clear LOS).  The group moving over there does constant file transferring (5Gb - 20Gb), so I want to go with something fast but not break the bank.  The 1300 series only does G, so it's not fast enough.  However, it is cheap, so loadbalancing over two sets of 1300s could be an option.  The 1552e looks like it might do what I want, but I can't really tell.  From the documentation it sounds like it might require a controller.  Does anyone know if it can be used as a point to point bridge without a controller? 

I browsed Aruba's site, and it looks like they have like 10 different APs that do what I want, while Cisco's selection seems rather limited.  Anyone have any experience with something like this.

• Getting Started with Wireless
Everyone's tags (4)
1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Best Wireless Bridge Option

You need a WAP that will support external antenna.  Since you have a budget, then you need the WAP to also be autonomous.

The contenders are:  1240 and the 1260.

The 1240 will only support 802.11 a/b/g and has a FastEthernet port.  The 1260 will support 802.11a/b/g/n and has a GigabitEthernet port.

Cisco Aironet Antennas and Accessories Reference Guide

Wireless Bridges Point-to-Point Link Configuration Example

Views
Helpful
Replies