cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BoM for 5508 HA WLAN Solution

Mark Rigby
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings, i'm looking to deploy two Cisco 5508 WLC's in a HA pair and license them to support 150 2600e AP's.

Would the BoM below be sufficient? As i understand the HA controller doesnt need licensing as in the event of the primary controller failing they would be transfered to the backup controller.

15 x AIR-CAP2602E-EK910 - AP's

600 x AIR-ANT2524DW-R - Antenna

1 x AIR-CT5508-100-K9 - Cisco 5508 Controller (Primary)

1 x AIR-CT5508-HA-K9 - Cisco 5508 HA Controller (Standby)

1 x L-LIC-CT5508-50A - Adiitional 50 AP License

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Will be deploying the AP's in the UK hence the "E" designation.

Just want to make sure, Mark.

i had specified the 2602E as we need to mount the access points on a vertical rather than horizontal surface approximately 3 meters off the ground and wanted to have better control over RF dispersion.

2602I will cover this area fine.

View solution in original post

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yeah the 2602I's will work fine. I use the 2602E's when mounting around 25' or higher. Now you might need some 2603E's if you do have open ceilings or high ceilings if you wish to mount the AP on the wall. Places where you can mount the AP's on the ceiling, use the 2602I's.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
600 x AIR-ANT2524DW-R - Antenna

If you are going to use this antenna, why bother?  These antennas make the 2600E have the same power as the 2600I.

15 x AIR-CAP2602E-EK910 - AP's

Regulatory domain of "E"?  What country will the APs be installed?

Thank you for your replies, i had specified the 2602E as we need to mount the access points on a vertical rather than horizontal surface approximately 3 meters off the ground and wanted to have better control over RF dispersion. If you say that the 2602i will work happy adopt that approach.

Regards

Just want to make sure, Mark.

i had specified the 2602E as we need to mount the access points on a vertical rather than horizontal surface approximately 3 meters off the ground and wanted to have better control over RF dispersion.

2602I will cover this area fine.

Thank you both for your help, worth noting as it will save considerable expense.

Assume that the rest of the BoM is sufficient?

Regards

The rest looks fine. You are at the max of your Ap count and you might want to look at a higher ap count and also take a look at the cost savings if you purchase that now or if you purchase individual license pack later. You never know when you might have to add a few AP's for coverage or maybe for a remote building. License are cheaper when you but it initially with the WLC.

-Scott

Wait a sec ... found something missing in your BoM.

Where's the SMARTnet for your 5508?  Make sure you put one which includes the option for you to download the firmware for the 5508.

Do not bother getting maintenance contract for the APs because they are covered under Cisco's new Limited Lifetime Warranty (if you don't mind waiting for 10 business days before your replacment AP gets shipped out). 

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Leo... Get the 2602I's instead. Only use the 2602E's in areas with high ceilings like warehouse and then use the AIR-ANT2440NV-R=

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/at_a_glance_c45-513837.pdf

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yeah the 2602I's will work fine. I use the 2602E's when mounting around 25' or higher. Now you might need some 2603E's if you do have open ceilings or high ceilings if you wish to mount the AP on the wall. Places where you can mount the AP's on the ceiling, use the 2602I's.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: