Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Bootloader Upgrade

Hello.

I have recently followed the Cisco instructions and successfully upgraded my 2106 Wireless LAN Controller software to 5.2.157.0 using the cli. However, the instructions also recommend upgrading the bootloader software. That is proving difficult, any time a try to do this it says I'm successfil but the 4.0.191.0 version still remains. Can anyone help me?

8 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Bootloader Upgrade

The bootloader is never the same version as the controller software version, so you might be at the highest version allowed for your software. I advise sticking to the bootloader that comes with the software rather than trying to upgrade it after a software upgrade.

Community Member

Thanks for the information.

Considering I have just upgraded to a 5.2 version of software and I'm told bootloader goes up to 4.2, I was assuming that I could upload 4.2 bootloader without problems. What could be the issues if bootloader isn't upgraded?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

The last "true" bootload is the 4.2.112.0. The rest are all ER: Emergency Release (patches).

"Unlike previous ER images, a new bootloader file is not loaded when you install the 5.0.148.2 ER.aes file. This is true for all controllers. The 4.2.112.0 ER.aes file is the last ER file to contain a bootloader. If you want the latest bootloader, install the 4.2.112.0 ER.aes file. If you want to obtain the fix for CSCsd52483, also install the 5.0.148.2 ER.aes file."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn5014x0mr1.html#wp233853

Hope this helps.

Community Member

Thanks for the information.

I have tried to install 4.2.112.0 ER.aes, but although the process said it worked, it as still version 4.0.191.0. Why do you think this is? I get no failure message.

Boot loader on the 2106 is not field upgradeable. So long as you load the ER image, to get the enhancements to the emergency repair image you are fine.

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Community Member

Thanks Steve. Is this the case for the 4400s as well?

the 4400 boot loader is upgradeable.

!! Be aware, that all ER images do not necessarily have a new boot image!! For example, you were running 4.2.176.0, and you loaded the 4.2.112.0 ER images. This would show you a boot loader of 4.2.112.0. Now you upgrade to 5.2, and load the 5.2.157.0 ER. This only upgrades the ER, and not the bootloader. You would still see a boot loader of 4.2.112.0

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Community Member

Thanks.

That is a big help.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content