Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bridge with 2 x Aironet 2602e

Hi -

I'm trying to configure two Aironet 2602e (with external antennas) to form a bridge between two buildings. I can't figure out how to get them to run faster than 54 Mbit between them. Currently they just sit at my desk in a test-setup. I think, I should maybe set them up as Workgroup-bridges instead of root-to-non-root, but I don't get other speed options than those 54 Mbit. Also I think it should be done at 5 GHz radio.

Could it be something with encryption mode or is it only possible through CLI or...

Please help

Sincerly

Nicholas

16 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Yes, If you want to get 802.11n speed, you have to configure either Open Authentication or WPA2/AES. post your show run config to see what you have configured & why you are not getting 802.11n data rates ?

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

That was a fast response!

My config (too much of it??):

dot11 syslog
!
dot11 ssid Gangbro3
   authentication open 
   authentication key-management wpa version 2
   wpa-psk ascii 7 0100525750585400751842594900
!
!
crypto pki token default removal timeout 0
!
!
username administrator privilege 15 password xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
!
!
bridge irb
!
!
!
interface Dot11Radio0
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
 shutdown
 !
 encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm 
 antenna gain 0
 speed  basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 basic-11.0 basic-6.0 basic-9.0 basic-12.0 basic-18.0 basic-24.0 basic-36.0 basic-48.0 basic-54.0 m0. m1. m2. m3. m4. m5. m6. m7. m8. m9. m10. m11. m12. m13. m14. m15. m16. m17. m18. m19. m20. m21. m22. m23.
 station-role root access-point
 bridge-group 1
 bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control
 bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
 bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source
 no bridge-group 1 source-learning
 no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding
!
interface Dot11Radio1
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
 !
 encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm 
 !
 ssid Gangbro3
 !
 antenna gain 0
 no dfs band block
 stbc
 speed  basic-6.0 basic-9.0 basic-12.0 basic-18.0 basic-24.0 basic-36.0 basic-48.0 basic-54.0 m0. m1. m2. m3. m4. m5. m6. m7. m8. m9. m10. m11. m12. m13. m14. m15. m16. m17. m18. m19. m20. m21. m22. m23.
 channel dfs
 station-role root bridge
 bridge-group 1
!
interface GigabitEthernet0
 no ip address
 no ip route-cache
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 bridge-group 1
!
interface BVI1
 ip address dhcp client-id GigabitEthernet0
 no ip route-cache
!
ip forward-protocol nd
ip http server
ip http authentication aaa
no ip http secure-server
ip http help-path http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/prodconfig/help/eag
!
!
bridge 1 route ip
!
!
!
line con 0
line vty 0 4
 transport input all
!
end
VIP Purple

It's good you have configured WPA2/AES.  Once your non-root bridge associated to your root-bridge get the following output from your root-bridge. This will help to verify the associated data rate.

show dot11 associations all-client

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks - I will try that at work tomorrow.

Is there any good reason, that I cannot choose more than 54 Mbit in the GUI on the AP? Will the AP's automatically connect at higher speeds if possible?

Sincerly

Nicholas

VIP Purple

Not too sure about GUI as I always use CLI for configuration

As long as you configure the correct settings to support MCS data rates (ie WPA2/AES or Open Auth) & two APs hear each other with strong signal automatically they should go for 802.11n data rates.

To limit the bridge associate in certain data rates you can configure required speeds under radio interface. For example if you configure interface d1 like below, then it should not go below 54Mbps (but you need to ensure they hear each other with required dBm to maintain such data rates)

speed  basic-54.0 m0. m1. m2. m3. m4. m5. m6. m7. m8. m9. m10. m11. m12. m13. m14. m15.

Below 2600 datasheet should provide you information about receiver sensitivity to maintain such data rates

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps12534/data_sheet_c78-709514.html

Below table should provide you the achievalble data rates under specific condition in different type of AP models.

HTH

Rasika

Thanks again, Rasika - so many usefull answers.

I've had some succes by now - the two bridges connect with m23, apparantly, which gives me about 90-100 Mbit in a controll-file-transfer between the two AP's sitting on my desk.

I have 4 external antennas and I think, it should be possible to achieve more speed - could it be some fidling with "streams" (new to me). Or should I use both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz? Currently I only use 5 GHz.

Sincerely

Nicholas

VIP Purple

Re: Bridge with 2 x Aironet 2602e

Glad to see it is associated m23 rate which is maximum you can get.

Regarding to higher throughput, you can use channel bonding in 5GHz to have more bandwidth. Configure this on radio 1 interface of both AP & see.

AAP(config)#int d1

AAP(config-if)#channel width ?

20        20 Mhz width

40-above  40 Mhz width with extension channel above

40-below  40 Mhz width with extension channel below

AAP(config-if)# channel width 40-above

Guard interval should be by default "any" & it should allow you to go with "short guard interval" to give you maximum throughput. Two otptions available are as below.

AAP(config-if)#guard-interval ?

any   allow either short or long guard interval

long  allow only long guard interval

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika -

On my root-AP I can issue the channel-command but on the non-root it doesn't recognize "channel"

----

Gangbro3-slave-kirke(config-if)#channel ?

% Unrecognized command

Gangbro3-slave-kirke(config-if)#channel

----

There seems to be endless questions to ask

Sincerly

Nicholas

VIP Purple

Even if you could not configure it on non-root bridge, as long as you have it on root bridge, association should be on 40MHz. Did you do the file transfer test after change it on root-ap end ?

Let us know

HTH

Rasika

Yes - The association happened, but the non-root kept showing 20 MHz and I couldn't transfer a file with more than 0.6 MByte pr. sec. I changed root-AP back to 20 MHz and it went back to normal (which is approx 50 Mbit/s - the AP's are now positioned on the two buildings with approx 50 meter between them)

Maybe the distance is too much for higher rates?

Sincerly

Nicholas (And again: Thank you so much for all those usefull and rapid responses!)

VIP Purple

No problem... as long as it helps you....

Rasika

Hi again -

Now it works with the commands you gave - I gave the non-root a little time to adjust to the root, which had 40-above, and the non-root adjusted to 40 MHz. Super.

Now I'm in doubt if I'm getting enough out of my MIMO-antenna - is the AP self-configuring the antenna?

It's an

AIR-ANT2566P4W-R 2.4-GHz/5-GHz MIMO 4-Element Patch Antenna, by the way.

Again, should I use both frequencies maybe?

Sincerly

Nicholas

VIP Purple

Hi Nic,

You cannot used both band to establish bridge at the same time. So it will be either 2.4GH or 5 GHz (but you can keep the configuration in case one failed, it will use the other band)

As you can see, performance wise you can get better throughput if you go with 5GHz (as channel bonding is not for 2.4GHz) due to limited channels. Also in 5GHz you should have less interference. I would choose 2.4 GHz over 5GHz only if I want to go distance & 5GHz is not capable of such distance. Since your two buildings are closeby, working on 5GHz will be the better option if you looking for throughput.

Regarding Antenna, by default "diversity" is enable. So you do not want to do any other optimization as far as I know.

Thanks for taking time to rating our responses.

HTH

Rasika

Cisco Employee

To get the higher speed.. you will have to select only those speed at which you want your bridge to be connected..

but it happens sometimes due to signal issue that connectivity reduces at the lower speed but at that time if some lower speed is also not selected then possibly there will be a connectivity disconnection between root and nn root bridge and you will be loosing the connection completely.

Also Antennae should be pointed directly towards each other for bettwer connectivity... :-)

Also you can connect your root and non root with any one radio and can connect your clients with another radio.. not posible to use both radio for root and non root coonectivity at the same time..

Kindly find the link below to increase to the bandwidth of the ap.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_10b_JA/configuration/guide/scg12410b-chap6-radio.html

Access Points Send Multicast and Management Frames at Highest Basic Rate

Access Points Send Multicast and Management Frames at Highest Basic Rate

Access points running recent Cisco IOS versions are transmitting multicast and management frames at the highest configured basic rate, and is a situation that could causes reliability problems.

Access points running LWAPP or autonomous IOS should transmit multicast and management frames at the lowest configured basic rate. This is necessary in order to provide for good coverage at the cell's edge, especially for unacknowledged multicast transmissions where multicast wireless transmissions may fail to be received.

Since multicast frames are not retransmitted at the MAC layer, stations at the edge of the cell may fail to receive them successfully. If reliable reception is a goal, then multicasts should be transmitted at a low data rate. If support for high data rate multicasts is required, then it may be useful to shrink the cell size and to disable all lower data rates.

Depending on your specific requirements, you can take the following action:

If you need to transmit the multicast data with the greatest reliability and if there is no need for great multicast bandwidth, then configure a single basic rate, one that is low enough to reach the edges of the wireless cells.

If you need to transmit the multicast data at a certain data rate in order to achieve a certain throughput, then configure that rate as the highest basic rate. You can also set a lower basic rate for coverage of non-multicast clients.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content