Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging AIR-AP1131AG with TP-Link

Totardo Tobing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Today I want to build a wireless bridge using AIR-AP1131AG (running WLC) and TP-LINK wireless router.

The result is failed. May I know AIR-AP1131AG is support bridging the wireless connection with other vendor's access point or not?

In the TP-Link I already match its SSID, Channel and put the mac-address of the AIR-AP1131AG.

In the WLC I already see too TP-LINK mac-address is already become a client.

So what's the problem guys?

Thanks Guys

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well bridging isn't supported when using a wlc, only workgroup bridge. So what your trying to accomplish will not work. You would have to convert the 1131 to autonomous, but you would need another Cisco device configured as a bridge on the other end. Or else you can leave the 1131 on the wlc and get a device that functions as a workgroup bridge or Ethernet converter. I have used the Buffalo Ethernet converters and the work just fine. You can use most of the the Cisco APs starting with the 1131 as WGBs also.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

That is correct... the WLC doesn't support PTP bridging unless it is mesh AP's. WGB's allow you extend the wireless to wired users. So you can take a 1131 autonomous ap and configure that as a WGB and that can connect to the LWAPP AP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well bridging isn't supported when using a wlc, only workgroup bridge. So what your trying to accomplish will not work. You would have to convert the 1131 to autonomous, but you would need another Cisco device configured as a bridge on the other end. Or else you can leave the 1131 on the wlc and get a device that functions as a workgroup bridge or Ethernet converter. I have used the Buffalo Ethernet converters and the work just fine. You can use most of the the Cisco APs starting with the 1131 as WGBs also.

-Scott

Thank you for your explaination sir.

So are you saying that wireless bridging is only established when using:

{2 Cisco APs operating in autonomous mode} and { 1 Cisco AP is in lightweight mode and another 1 with workgroup bridge mode}?

Is that correct sir?

So bridge mode AP and workgroup bridge AP is a different mode sir?

That is correct... the WLC doesn't support PTP bridging unless it is mesh AP's. WGB's allow you extend the wireless to wired users. So you can take a 1131 autonomous ap and configure that as a WGB and that can connect to the LWAPP AP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

Okay, you are correcting me again sir.

So, If I want to make a workgroup bridge, I should take a 1131 autonomous AP and configure it as WGB and connect it to a LWAPP AP.

Thank you sir.

Hi air,

i got the same issue too, is that means

1. 1131 autonmous can linkup with WGB?

2. WCL with mesh ap's linkup with tplink?

i am a bit confuse of the second option, what means by mesh ap's?

is that only some of the specific ap model can be act as mesh ap?

MESH AP is only if you have a WLC and the AP's are in mesh mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a0080b1c101.shtml

WGB connecting to a lightweight AP
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080905cea.shtml

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card