cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BVI Operationally Down

fasteddye
Level 1
Level 1

For one of our APs (1200), Ciscoworks is reporting about every 15 minutes BVI oeprationally down.  However, everything seems to be working ok on that AP.  I am having trouble figuring out why Ciscoworks is reporting an issue with BVI.

4 Replies 4

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

first thing is to check if the BVI really shows down on the AP itself (show logging).

In any case, the BVI is the management interface of the AP, not needed to pass wireless traffic, especially if the SSIDs are in other vlans that your BVI vlan.

Maybe that vlan is blocked on the switch from spanning tree of something ?

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Show logging does not report anything about BVI interface. I assume it is up since I can ping the management IP continuously and I can telnet and web interface into the AP on the management IP.

How would I know if spanning tree is blocking vlan?

Thanks.

Well if the AP never reported the BVI to go down, then it's CiscoWorks which should stop lying :-)

Not sure if there is a community for Management tools, or you can open a tac case for it. But if the AP never reported its interface to be down, then it never was.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

There must be something going on with the AP.

I switched out the AP with a spare and same config. Cisco Works is no longer barking.

Thanks for all the input.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card