cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can 871W act as a bridge to another 871W?

stu.packett
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to have an 871W act as a wireless bridge to another 871W? We have a situation where we plan to install an 871W in a home office, but we would need to connect to more devices in the other part of the house. We were thinking of getting a 2nd 871W and have that act as a wireless bridge to the 1st 871W. Is this possible? If so, can someone post example configs? Thanks again.

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Stu,

I don't think this will work as the 871w will only work as a RootAP.But the 871w does have good coverage that should reach most areas of the house especially with the use of external antennas. Have a look;

The Cisco 800 Series Integrated Services Routers are interoperable with the other Cisco wireless products and Wi-Fi certified products. ISRs will always work in Root AP mode and do not support Wireless Uplink to another AP.

802.11b basic range is 50 to 100 feet, and a 300-ft maximum. Within a typical office environment, most access points can provide good wireless coverage up to 150 feet. 802.11b uses the same radio signaling frequency---2.4 GHz---as the original 802.11 standard.

To extend the coverage of integrated access points in the Cisco 870 Series, customers can choose from different externally mounted antennas to allow the router to be located in one area (such as behind a counter) while coverage can be focused and extended to other areas (such as wall or ceiling placement).

From this good Q&A doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_qanda_item0900aecd8028a982.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts............

I'm actually trying to connect non-wireless devices. Sorry, I wasn't clear on my original post. On the 'bridge' 871W, I was planning on putting the wired IP camera, printer, and another desktop computer. I know I have the option of going wireless on all these devices, but the goal is to use the same equipment, but attach them to a 'bridge switch'.

I guess I don't have much options at this time. Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card