cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a Wireless Client use a site local DHCP server?

JAMES HAYNES
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am configuring a Wireless network spread over 8 sites. The core site has a DHCP server, but the customer would like to use DHCP at each site for the individual DHCP requests from that sites wireless users. Is it possible to do that? I only see configurations where the request is coming back to the WLC at the core site. I was thinking it may be possible using local switching.

Thanks,

Jim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, if you are wanting to keep the DHCP local, I would go with FlexConnect Local Switching. This way the AP puts the request right on the wire and the local DHCP server can respond. This way all the traffic follows the local routing policies.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, if you are wanting to keep the DHCP local, I would go with FlexConnect Local Switching. This way the AP puts the request right on the wire and the local DHCP server can respond. This way all the traffic follows the local routing policies.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

JAMES HAYNES
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, Steve. I didn't realize FlexConnect also switched DHCP requests. That works perfectly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card