cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Controller LAN and Wireless AP client are using different IP subnet ?

Jason
Level 1
Level 1

We have CISCO 2504 controller and 1142 AP. Can we and how to setup different IP subnet for controller and wireless client ?

Ex : Controller is 192.168.10.0/24   Wireless client is 192.168.20.0/24

Thank you for your answer.

Jason Chen

7 Replies 7

Chris Illsley
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Jason,

Set up an interface on the client subnet:  Controller - Interfaces

When you create your WLAN select the client interface: General - Interface/Interface Group (G)

Thanks

Chris

Yes, this is how normally a WLC configured.

Configure management interface of the controller with 192.168.10.x/24 with correct mask & gateway.

Create dynamic interface with 192.168.20.x/24 with correct mask & gateway. Then once you define a WLAN map that dynamic interface to it.

Also WLC connected switch port need to configure as trunk and should allow above two VLAN across the trunk

If you need further assistance let us know

HTH

Rasika

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add... Here is a reference to what the other are describing.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00805e7a24.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Jason
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much all for your answer.

I will give it a try.

Best Regards,

Jason CHen

Jason
Level 1
Level 1

I'm comfusing about VLAN gateway.

My network diagram as below. I don't have switch between controller and firewall.

That's mean I need to asign two IP range on firewall to acept connection from wireless?

What is IP that VLAN gateway ? Is firewall IP or controller IP ?

Thank you for your answe.

Best Regards.,

Jason Chen

Controller is not doing any L3 functionality, so It has to be something else. But in your scenario can you configure a firewall as Trunk Port (carrying multiple vlan traffic) connect back to WLC ? I doubted.

Best solution would be having a L3 switch in place of the controller in your topology diagram & connect WLC on to that switch via a trunk port. In this way all the VLAN gateway will be the L3 switch SVI

HTH

Rasika

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Like Rasika mentioned, you really need a switch in between. Before you start creating multiple subnets its always best to see how the wired side works and get that piece to work first. This way you understand the flow of traffic and it asks makes setting up the wireless easier. In all the Cisco docs you will see the WLC connected to a switch. This can be a layer 2 or layer 3 switch, but its always presumed that routing is working and you do have a device that does the routing. Trunking just allows the WLC to pass multiple vlan's to and from the switch. If you don't have a switch, then you need to have your FW do the routing and hopefully it supports trunking.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: