cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I compliment my existing LAN by adding the Aironet 3500?

ScorpiusZA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have an existing wired & wireless network in a large house. The only computers in use are roaming laptops. I have problems with slow and/or intermittent wireless connections and sometimes a weak signal.

ADSL and DHCP are supplied by the Billion ADSL+ router and distributed via the 10/100 D-link switch.

I want to increase the radius or coverage of the wireless LAN and want it to be the highest speed within reasonable cost. ie Gigabit.

I would like to install a Cisco 3500 Aeronet wireless. I underdstand I would need a WLC possibly the Ciso 2500 WLC which will provide power over ethernet for the 3500.

Will this integrate into my existing LAN replacing the D-link switch with the 2500 WLC and adding the 3500 to compliment and increase the range and speed of wireless connections to the internet/Skype?

See below images for existing and porposed network layouts

existing.jpg

proposed.jpg

Thanks in advance

Scott

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well the problem is that the 2504's only have 2 PoE ports and Cisco TAC doesn't support AP's connected to those ports even though it might work. Adding another AP should help, but you might want to find a SOHO PoE 4 port or 8 port switch where you can have the AP's, wlc, and Internet connection and any other devices connect to.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Another thing you can do is indoor mesh. You can backhaul on the 5ghz and have client access on the 2.4. You can also allow client access on the 5ghz if you want. This way you need one 3500 as a Root AP and you can have another 3500 without any Ethernet connection, just an AC power adapter located somewhere else and that would be setup as a Mesh AP. I'm doing that at home because I don't have any cable running to the other side of the house.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply,

As far as I know the 2500WLC has 2 std ethernet ports and 2 PoE ports, so my current wall points will be connected to the std ethernet ports and the 3500 to one of the PoE ports, leaving one spare PoE port for use at a later stage? Does the 2500WLC not also act as a switch? 

Do I need to purchse a licence to run the 3500 and controller?

Thanks

Scott

The 2504 is not a switch so you shouldn't connect computer it. You need to find a 8 port gigabit switch. The only license that is required on the 2504 is how may AP's you want to support. So all you need is the 2504 with the 5 ap license.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Scott,

You can always pick up a low end 8 port gigabit switch if you are not doing any vlans. Really all you need is a gigabit switch that has enough ports for what you need.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

8-port PoE switches are the 2960C and the 3560C.

ScorpiusZA
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Leolaohoo and Scott Fella for the replies.

Please have a look at my diagram below and tell me if you think it will work?

So I will require a 2504 WLC, a Cisco Catalyst 2960-C Series switch and a 5 AP licence to run the 3500.

The 2504 and 3500 will run off PoE so no additional power points needed for them?

The existing ADSL+ router will remain.

Cheers

Scott

The 2504 is a standard 110v power device. The 3500 can run off of PoE. If you want gig speeds then you'll need the

2960CG-8TL-L.

I still think you need to look at a 3560C with PoE instead of the 2504 ports or power the 3500 with a wall adapter, per the guide:

"The Power over Ethernet (PoE) ports on the Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller will not support directly attached APs."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11630/products_tech_note09186a0080b8450c.shtml

You do know that your "2960C Gig" switch is non-PoE, right?  And Cisco doesn't support plugging any WAP into the 2504?

Regarding the house, describe the walls?  What are they made of?  If it ain't made of wood, how thick are they?

Regarding the double storey building, describe the floor that separates each floor.  Like the question above, what are they made of and how thich are these?

3500 WAP in the roof-space.  Really?  We started deploying WAPs (back in 2009) and hiding them in roof space.  We got burnt with that "experiment" and we're now deploying them OUTSIDE the roof cavities.  Roof cavities eat wireless signals for breakfast because of the amount of metal hidden inside.

I still think you need to look at a 3560C

Yup, deploying these now.  Pretty small and very quiet (fanless).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card