Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can I connect to different patch antennas to only one AP350 ?

I want to cover a bigger area, so I want to know if it is possible to connect to antennas (same model) to only one AP.

Each one covering a 180 degree area?

Is this possible?

3 REPLIES

Re: Can I connect to different patch antennas to only one AP350

That is not a good idea. It may work ok in close, but will likely have failures that increase with distance. Because of the way diversity works, both antennas should have approximately the same coverage.

And what about using a splitter to use the same AP antenna connector but with the two antennas?

So you know what kind of splitter could I use?

The purpose of the 2 antennas on the 802.11 AP's is the diversity switching (improves behavior in multipath environment). It is not foreseen for extending the coverage; usually one antenna is used at a time (the one with the best signal).

The splitter is a better solution, however, it reduces the output power (and thus the coverage of each antenna) by the number of antennas (2 antennas = -3dB). Further, if the diversity switching is used (2 antennas on the AP; rather inside use) you need 2 splitters with 2 antennas for each "side" of the AP.

If you go for outside use, you may not need the diversity switching and turn it off. You will then use only one antenna output on the AP and use 2 antennas on 1 splitter.

But again, this is not the best solution.

Guy

Views
Helpful
Replies