cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I rely on wireless - auditorium?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, imagine I am designing network connectivity for a 2,000 sq. ft. auditorium room.

I am planning to provide few Ethernet network drops on the front section and back of the room.

Then for all other seats, I am planning to rely heavily on Cisco access-points and let me people connect only via wireless in order to minimize costs.

Do you agree with me that wireless is reliable enough these days and therefore I will be alright if no network wired connections are available?

3 Replies 3

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Right, so lets put this in to context and make some assumptions :o)

2000 sq ft is about 44 x 44ft, which is about 12m x 12m, which I guess is about the size of a single class room.

If a class holds 30people, all using wireless, and you install an A/G Access Point, then you've got a realistic maximum bandwidth of ~2x 20Mbps. So, providing all people are doing is looking at lecture notes, surfing the web and sending e-mails, you will PROBABLY be ok. If however, you've got 30 students all learning about Hi Def video editing, you're going to be in a world of pain!

If you can please provide more information about what the network will be used for, expectations in terms of 'user experience', etc... then I'm sure I / somebody else can help you out.

All the best,

Richard

My apologies. Total of size of auditorium is 6000 sq. ft. Total number of seats=100.

No video requirements. People would be mainly using computers to check e-mail, browse web or webex session for example.

If this is your only location you may want to give the 1250 a shot. It is Pre-N, so for the N clients you would get the performance boost. You would need a Gigabit port for that.

I've done a bunch of schools and I find that we only have problems when they are doing things they shouldn't. Like 30 users on a single access point trying to take an SOL exam.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card