cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can one Root Bridge support multiple non-root bridges?

William Benson
Level 1
Level 1

Hey gang,

I have a pretty simple question here I think

I have a wireless bridge currently setup to support a separate office building on our property about 200 yards away from the main building.  The wireless bridge has been working great and was a much cheaper solution when compared to the cost of making a fiber drop to this building.  The needs of our business have changed (go figure), to include a warehouse building also on the backside of the property.  It's not feasible to run a cable between these two building either.  So I need to create another wireless bridge to this back warehouse as well.  My question is can I just use another non-root bridge to link to the root bridge already in place, or does each wireless bridge require one root bridge and one non-root bridge?

I have good LoS to both buildings from where the current root bridge is, so if two non-root bridges can talk to one root bridge I should be able to just an additional non-root bridge and be good to go.  But if wireless bridges are meant to be a one to one setup, then I'll need to setup an additional root bridge to link to the new non-root bridge?

It seems like you should be able to have one root bridge link to multiple non-root bridges but I haven't been able to find any clear examples of this being done.

Thanks in advance for the help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes,

You can have muliple non-root to a single Root.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes,

You can have muliple non-root to a single Root.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks Steve,

These bridges are mounted about 20 feet up in the air and since I have to get on a lift to get up there and mount these things, I didn't want to go through all that trouble to find out it wasn't going to work.

Will

That was just too easy.

I copied the configuration from the working non-root bridge to my laptop.  I changed out the ip address of the BVI interface.  I uploaded the configuration to the new 1300 bridge.  I plugged it in and pointed the yagi antenna in the general direction of the original root bridge and started pinging the new 1300.  Success!

I'll use my spare 1300 to get service up and running in the warehouse by the end of the week and I'll just need to order one more 1300 to make sure I have spare on hand if needed.

Thanks again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: