cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can remove wlc command:config ap secondary-base controller_name cisco_ap [controller_ip_address]

nianqing212
Level 1
Level 1

I have already configed all ap with primary & secondary controller address per ap parameters, I want to remove the paramters quickly ,I found the command : config ap secondary-base controller_name cisco_ap [controller_ip_address] ,  that can added in wlc cli , but I can't find the way to remove the secondary controller ip address in  wlc cli

the wlc is ct5508 with 7.0 os

anyone has suggestion?

thanks a lot

Best Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yeah there is no way to remove it clean from the cli. I had to manually remove each on the AP. I even tried putting a blank value and that didn't take.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yeah there is no way to remove it clean from the cli. I had to manually remove each on the AP. I even tried putting a blank value and that didn't take.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Jwaas9876
Level 1
Level 1

Here are a two suggestions:

1.  If you use Cisco Prime Infrastructure (or WCS) to manage your WLC, you can create a Lightweight AP Configuration Template to specify the Primary Controller Name and IP Address, and to specify a blank value (choose the first blank option in the drop down list) and 0.0.0.0 for the Secondary and Tertiary Controllers.  Then you can apply that template to the AP's and it should remove (blank out) the values in those fields.

2.  From the WLC CLI, you can run the following commands to blank out the fields:

config ap secondary-base ' ' APHOSTNAME 0.0.0.0

config ap tertiary-base '  ' APHOSTNAME 0.0.0.0

Note that between the quotes there are spaces.  The secondary-base command has one space, the tertiary-base command has two spaces (the names have to be unique).  While this does not completely blank out the field, the spaces do not resolve to a valid WLC hostname so it has the same effect and the AP ignores the spaces.

Both of these suggestions worked in our environment.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Jwaas. That works perfectly !!!

Thanks Jwaas9876.

It works!

Thanks. It worked.

Thanks for sharing man !!!

nickreza23
Level 1
Level 1

*edited

config ap secondary-base '' APNAME 0.0.0.0   = This command does not work as it ask for switch name.

config ap secondary-base ' ' APNAME 0.0.0.0 = This command does work but it adds extra space to the field.

If you go to Controller GUI, Wireless tab and access point you cleared out secondary controller information, click and change any access point setting or host name while in GUI or to change any config in the access point via GUI, it will says Secondary Switch : : has trailing or leading spaces in it. Make necessary corrections and try again. If you put NULL in the above command instead of quotes, it put NULL in the Secondary Controller Name field. At this point, you can save config for specific AP while in GUI. Any c++ command you put as controller name to keep it empty, won't take it at least I know of unless you click on each and every access point and go to high availability setting to back space and save to let it save.

That command should work as I have used it a lot. The 1st only has a single space and the “ ‘ “ surrounds that.
-Scott

Command works and space is what screwing it up when you try to save config while going to wireless >> Access Point you try to save while in GUI, it errors out because it has leading space under high availability>> secondary controller name field. 

With this save you can save the access point config in the GUI without error out. 

config ap secondary-base NULL APNAME 0.0.0.0

config ap secondary-base ' ' APNAME 0.0.0.0 works in the command line but

it will put extra space secondary | space| . This will not allow access point to save any config changes to the access point. 

Well unless you are only doing a few, doesn’t make sense to use the UI. If you use the UI, you can use a dot, a hyphen and just add another for secondary and three for tertiary.
-Scott

I got like 64 APs. I can use the command, it does work and adding High Availability >>> Secondary Controller Name Box a space because using ' ' , controller does not take '' as input when clear out the controller IP address. I created C++ script to do it repetition. Therefore; when using ' ' in the command line to clear the secondary controller name, it puts a space in the Secondary Controller Name Box in GUI. Because of that space, it does not allow to make any configuration change to Access Point while in GUI. But, I got around using NULL so that if I use any changes in GUI to access points, it does work having to login to all 64 access points and put cursor in Secondary controller name box and hit backspace 64 times. 

Well just looked at my script and I actually use “ not ‘.
-Scott

The problem is not whether use " or ' , the problem is it adds a space to secondary controller name box in the GUI which prevents Access Point config  saving while in GUI. I attached a picture. Controller GUI does not allow leading space that put in the secondary controller name box by using ' ' or " " with full command to set the secondary controller ip 0.0.0.0

It is a bug, no wait it is a feature. :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card