cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't see AP in Controller

peekachu76
Level 1
Level 1

I can't see my AP's (1852iI) in 2504 Controller.  I also can't get into AP's via wireless.  They aren't broadcasting SSID.

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check AP Groups. 

I presume the SSID is enabled?

Leo these are new boxes and are supposed to broadcast SSID so that I can go through the configuration wizard.  If I log in via the CLI there isn't a configuration wizard there either.  Is there a way to manually get the wizard to run from the console?
Thank you

these are new boxes and are supposed to broadcast SSID so that I can go through the configuration wizard.  If I log in via the CLI there isn't a configuration wizard there either.  Is there a way to manually get the wizard to run from the console?

I am confused.  Which is/are new?  The AP or the controller?

The AP's are new.  The are supposed to broadcast an SSID but aren't and if I go in through CLI the wizard doesn't come up that way either.  Is there any way I can force it?  The AP's are 1852i and I'm following all commands which don't seem to work.  Four days in and I've only gotten my controller up. :(

When I say it isn't taking any commands I mean I can't even type config.  When I type "config -t" then I get "% invalid input detected at '^' marker"

If I type "config ?"  it gives me "boot parameters" n that's it. 

I am logged into the access point username: Cisco password: Cisco

type en

type: Cisco

# here's where I'm typing my commands??

That's because the APs are operating in controller-based IOS.  

There is very limited commands you can use. 

Can you post the complete output to the AP command "sh version" and WLC command "sh sysinfo"?

Thank you Leo!  Unfortunately "sh sysinfo" is an invalid command but the log does have the version information.

Thank you again

Unfortunately "sh sysinfo" is an invalid command

On the WLC, run the command "sh sysinfo" and post the complete output. 

I had to leave the lab for the night.  Are you going to be around tomorrow?  I work better at night but have been at it day and night trying to get those things up and running.  Shouldn't the Access Points come up with the wireless broadcast no matter whether or not a controller is in the picture?  I don't see any broadcast coming off the Access Points.
Also, I apologize because I didn't see that you wanted the "sh sysinfo" from the WLC in your first message.  I think my brain is mush about now from racking it trying to get them up n going. lol

Leo here's the log from the WLC that you asked for.  Thank you again for taking the time to help.

Product Version.................................. 7.6.130.0

This is the problem. 

The controller must be running, a minimum of, 8.1.111.0 in order to support the 1850. 

If this controller does not have any legacy APs then I'd recommend the controller get upgraded to 8.2.141.0.  Release Notes can be found HERE.  

Leo when I go to download the software it's telling me that I need to have a contact with Cisco.  Is that software specific or when I register it will be company specific??  Also, do I need to have a Cisco switch for the WLC to talk to AP's or can I plug it into any unmanaged switch?  I just want to know the facts before I spend any more time on this project.  Thank you again!!

when I go to download the software it's telling me that I need to have a contact with Cisco.  Is that software specific or when I register it will be company specific??

A valid Service Contract (on the controller) is required to download the firmware from the Cisco website. 

Also, do I need to have a Cisco switch for the WLC to talk to AP's or can I plug it into any unmanaged switch? 

That depends on the network.  It is highly recommended that the WLC be connected to an 802.1Q Trunk port and the AP be connected to an access port.  Depends on how the WLC and AP are deployed.  If they are just going to be in one big fat Layer 2 network then it's fine.  But if it has to span distances and subnets then an un-managed switch will not suffice.

Thank you so much for breaking this down for me.  Do you happen to know about how much the contract costs?  I have to have the facts in order to let the client know.  Will the WLC see the access ports via an unmanaged network if they are all connected to an unmanaged switch in the lab?  I believe you said they would but just want to make sure before I proceed.  Also, does the managed switch have to be a Cisco switch or can it be a different model?  I believe they have HP models across the network.
Thank you again!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card