Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Service port on a 5500 be hooked right into a network port?

I want to be able to get to my controller without using a pc attached to it when I need to configure it etc. Cant I just hook the service port up to one of my regular network jacks and then just telnet into it using that address?

I know the specs say to have it on a different subnet but I thought that was only if you wanted to get to it if the whole network went down.

thanks

gary

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Can the Service port on a 5500 be hooked right into a networ

Hi Gary,

The service port is used for Out of Bound Management (OoBM). It's recommeneded that the service port be on a different IP subnet to the main network. If you can provide a route to it from your network then it should be find.

Thanks

The controller is plugged into the core switch so if the core goes down everything goes down anyways. I just want to get a way from having a comptuer hooked up with a console cable. I had a case the other night when I was "fiddling" with it and it zeroed out the config settings and I had to go in the next morning to get to it.

Gary

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Errr ... you have a computer hooked up full time to the service port? No need to do that.

What I use to do (when the horizontal cabling allows) is connect the service port of the 4400 directly to one of the spare ports of my desk and into my laptop's 2nd NIC.

It did not like being plugged into the network and given an ip address in the same subnet as the controller so I will probably do the hook the service port into the computer deal as soon as I get some nic cards for it.

thanks

gary

Hall of Fame Super Gold

It should be a different subnet to the WLC's Management IP Address: If your Management IP address is 10.1.2.3 then your service port should be 192.168.1.2 or 172.17.18.19 (for example). It has to be different and a non-routable address.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content