cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can WCS identify and track Bluetooth devices?

jdodson
Level 1
Level 1

I realize the WCS can track rogue AP's, clients, RFID tags, etc... but waht about Bluetooth devices? Don't see anything documented about this.

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

I believe that if it could, it would only show up as a roving noise/interference source.

Bluetooth uses all / most of the same spectrum as 802.11b/g .... except it uses it by hopping across it, not staying on a single "channel" as the 802.11b/g clients do.

So, to a bandwidth monitor, it would appear as a full-spectrum noise, which (if mobile) would travel across the monitored zone.

It may be able to pinpoint the source through triangulation .... I'm not sure and haven't had much playtime on the WCS.

Good Luck

Scott

blair.nicodemus
Level 1
Level 1

WCS product literature indicates that it only works w/ Cisco Wi-Fi AP's which of course only support Wi-Fi compliant devices. Bluetooth does operate in the 2.4GHz band, however it uses a completely different communications protocol than Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is the trade name for the IEEE 802.11 standard, whereas Bluetooth is the trade name for the IEEE 802.15.1 standard. Completely different communication protocols, thus incompatible.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card