cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can we assign static IP to client (user)

Almas Saiyed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are using WLC 4400 with software version 7.0.235.3. and AP model AIR-LAP1131AG-N-K9, can we assign static IP to client.

Thanks,

AS

11 Replies 11

Erwin Salazar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Almas,

Yes, you most certainly can.  Just make sure 'DHCP Addr. Assignment' is not checked as 'Required'.  This is found under WLANs > Click WLAN id > Advanced tab.

Cheers,
Erwin

How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Cheers, Erwin ______________________________________ How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can surely assign static IP to the client.

If you want the controller's service-port interface to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server, enter DHCP. If you do not want to use the service port or if you want to assign a static IP address to the service-port interface, enter none.

Abhishek,

What does a static client ip have to do with the service port ? Are you posting for the sake of just posting and providing unrelated info to cisco customers?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I too was confused with that response.

Cheers,
Erwin

Cheers, Erwin ______________________________________ How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

thanks Erwin, so you means I can assign any IP from DHCP scope of WLAN to client?

Thanks,

AS

Almas,

Yes and no.  You will need to assign the client an IP within the same subnet as the interface that is attached to the WLAN.  I would also recommend you exclude that particular IP from the DHCP scope if there is DHCP on that subnet.

Cheers,
Erwin

We have similar requirement of assigning some users static IPs and remaining will be via DHCP on WLC. I checked your answer  and I see the option as available. However where do i define the  static lease with IP and Mac binding?

We have 5508 WLC and 8.5.135 software version.

TIA

I will check and update

Thanks,

AS

Hi,

I have checked its works fine.

Thanks,

AS

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DHCP range can be configured in the controller for the clients to get an ip-address dynamically.However, if you want the clients to be assigned static ip-address.

The administrator will have to assign an ip to the clients for static ip-address assignment.

The most appropriate answer can be found on the link -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/wlc_cg70MR1.pdf

in page 948/1110

The steps are as follows for GUI configuration-

Step 1-Choose WLANs to open the WLANs page.

Step 2-Click the ID number of the WLAN on which you want to enable dynamic anchoring of IP clients. The WLANs > Edit page is displayed.

Step 3-Choose the Advanced tab to open the WLANs > Edit (Advanced) page.

Step 4-Enable dynamic anchoring of static IP clients by selecting the Static IP Tunneling check box.

Step 5-Click Apply to commit your changes.

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

Well reserving a static IP address is the feature of the DHCP server and  is present in all the DHCP servers and its important to keep track of  them and exclude it from the scope so that we don’t have the problem  of  duplicate IP address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card