Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can you do without option 60 if you're doing windows dhcp?

Can you do without option 60 though if you're doing windows dhcp? I don't want to use option 60 and I have done this with IOS dhcp but I want to do the same with Windows DHCP! Any help would be appreciated.I have a dedicated subnet for the DHCP and while I am only going to be using one AP type in the beggining I don't want to deal with setting different VCIs if I don't have too and then if I must set it then can I have more than one VCI per subnet? The documentation and examples on this stuff are not clear.

Thanks,

Andrew

Everyone's tags (6)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Can you do without option 60 if you're doing windows dhcp?

You do not need to use option 60.  You can just use option 43 if you want.  I never use option 60 anyways:)

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Can you do without option 60 if you're doing windows dhcp?

You do not need to use option 60.  You can just use option 43 if you want.  I never use option 60 anyways:)

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Option 60 is just a limiter.  If you use Option 60/VCI, the DHCP request has to have the VCI to get Option 43 sent back to it.

If you don't use Option 60, all DHCP requests get Option 43 sent to them.

This did cause an issue with some Windows machines a few years ago, but if you limit your Option 43 to only the AP scope, and keep the AP's on their own VLAN(s), then you shouldn't have any issues.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks I was hoping that was the case and sorry to tack on another question but for windows do you have to enter the controller IPs in hex or can you enter them in ASCII by typing them in the ASCII field? My windows admin team should have my dhcp scopes setup shortly and I'll confirm you answer was correct for the masses. I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew:

You must enter the DHCP option in HEX with the microsoft DHCP server:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml#other

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Views
Helpful
Replies