Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot get AP to connect to controller

Hello

I have a Cisco wireless controller 2100 with 18-19 ap's. The ap's are of the type aironet 1131.

Now I needed another and I was told I could use the1602.

When I connect it I can see that it gets IP adress and that LWAPP requests are sent

debug capwap errors enable shows

*Nov 12 10:28:20.488: 6c:41:6a:bb:01:77 Received LWAPP DISCOVERY REQUEST to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on port '1'

*Nov 12 10:28:20.488: 6c:41:6a:bb:01:77 Discarding discovery request in LWAPP from AP supporting CAPWAP

Does this mean the controller and the ap are not compatible or is it something else?

regards

Trond

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's not going to work. The 1602 requires v7.4 or later. The 2106 only supports up to v7.0.

See matrix below

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The error you are getting is explained here.

Error Message    %LWAPP-6-CAPWAP_SUPP_VER: Discarding [chars] in LWAPP from AP

[hex]:[hex]:[hex]:[hex]:[hex]:[hex] supporting CAPWAP

Explanation    Message was received in LWAPP from an AP that supports CAPWAP. This condition might be normal. The AP will join the controller in CAPWAP after the maximum number of retries in LWAPP.

Recommended Action    No action is required.

So what is happening is that you have a device and supports LWAPP and another that supports capwap and each device is expecting to use the protocol they support.  I find it a little odd that these APs just suddenly stopped talking to the controller.

When an AP joins a controller, it should update its code to whatever the wlc is so they would match lwapp and or capwap or both depending on code.

Which version of software version of wlc have ??

Regards

No they didnt stop talking to the controller, all the old one of the type 1131 is just fine, its just the new one I bought, a 1602 that dont want to connect.

2106 WLC last support is  7.0.X (I think 7.0.240.0 was the last)

as per scott: 1600 series APs first support is 7.4.100.0.

If you have lower then this version then this AP will connect to your WLC.

Hope it helps.

Reagrds

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's not going to work. The 1602 requires v7.4 or later. The 2106 only supports up to v7.0.

See matrix below

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

-Scott

ok, so I just have to find an ap that supports <=7.0, thanks

That's is correct. Make sure the AP is supported on the code you are running on the WLC.

-Scott

Example:

You can take:  AIR-LAP1242AG

Regards

My reseller told me all AP's supporting pre controller software 7.0 is end of life. Now its just the clean air type AP's they sell. Luckily I found a stack of Air-lap1131's in our storage, but it seems odd that its not possible to buy AP's for this controller in the future.

Thanks for good help.

Regards

Yes 1242 , 1260 are EOS and EOF.

You can always buy them for a refurbish dealer. They have them online everywhere. Cisco and partners will not have the ability to sell them since they are EOS.

-Scott

Now I needed another and I was told I could use the1602. When I connect it I can see that it gets IP adress and that LWAPP requests are sent debug capwap errors enable shows *Nov 12 10:28:20.488: 6c:41:6a:bb:01:77 Received LWAPP DISCOVERY REQUEST to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on port '1' *Nov 12 10:28:20.488: 6c:41:6a:bb:01:77 Discarding discovery request in LWAPP from AP supporting CAPWAP - See more at: http://supportforums.cisco.com/node/11996186#sthash.62Ybfo4j.dpuf
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card