Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot join 1602i APs to WLC 2504

galinvelkov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have problems to join 2 1602i APs to cisco 2504 controller. The controller runs 7.4.100.0 and when AP tries to join to the controller there are many error logs (tommorow morning I'll attach them). Our simple topology is WLC 2504, AP 1602i connected to SF 302 switch. There are no VLANs created and all is in 192.168.1.0 network. WLC is on the uplink trunk mode port and AP on FE 4. WLC managment ip is 192.168.1.253 and AP gets ip from router DHCP. AP web page error: AP is not in flex mode. Some of the AP error logs: reach maximum retransmissions, cannot complete stage 10 & 5 as I recall. There is something wrong on the join proccess but I exhaust a lot of my ideas to resolve the problem.

Can anyone help with an example or an idea how to solve join process to the WLC?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure the time is set properly on the WLC or else the AP will not join.  Also make sure the country domain of the AP is defined on the WLC.  Post the output from the console of the AP from when you power cycle the access point.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

ROBERT T
Level 4
Level 4

I just did this a couple weeks ago with a 2504 and 2602e's. If I remember correctly you are not supposed to use the ports on the controller for your AP's. I connected mine onto the POE switch.

I needed to have two vlan's. One for management and one for the end user data. I tagged them both out port 1 going to the switch.

I had DHCP setup on the router. If the AP doesn' t get an IP address, it won't join. You could configure DHCP on the controller if you want. If the AP's access vlan is not the same as the managment VLAN of the controller, you need to use Option 43, use HEX for the controller IP.

Hi Robert,

Nice to meet you  and thak you for your post! Can you give me an example about the "two  vlans one for management and one for the end user data. I tagged them  both out port 1 going to the switch"?

10x in advance

galinvelkov
Level 1
Level 1

I tried: #capwap ap controller IP address - no luck for me. I connect AP directly to the POE WLC port - no luck and watched the AP console output - errorlogs.  I know I miss something or don't know how to do it.

Create 2 interfaces, one for management and one for end user data.  Give them the vlan numbers and tell it what port you want it to go out.

You then create your wlan and assign the wlan to that interface.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure the time is set properly on the WLC or else the AP will not join.  Also make sure the country domain of the AP is defined on the WLC.  Post the output from the console of the AP from when you power cycle the access point.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you all! I will post the results tommorow.

Regards

Please post the following outputs:

1.  WLC:  sh sysinfo;

2.  WLC:  sh time;

3.  AP:  sh version;

4.  AP:  sh inventory; and

5.  AP:  sh ip interface brief

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Galin,

I would suggest you to go to the below link and follow all the troubleshoot steps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a00808f8599.shtml

WLC 2504 sysinfo:

Manufacturer's Name............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 7.4.100.0

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.16

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 1.0.0

Firmware Version................................. PIC 16.0

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

System Name...................................... CiscoWLC

System Location.................................. System

Contact................................... System ObjectID.................................. 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1279

IP Address....................................... 192.168.100.253

Maximum number of APs supported.................. 5

AP 1602i:

Cisco IOS Software, C1600 Software (AP1G2-K9W8-M), Version 15.2(2)JB, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ROM: Bootstrap program is C1600 boot loader

BOOTLDR: C1600 Boot Loader (AP1G2-BOOT-M) LoaderVersion 15.2(2)JAX, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

APfc99.47a3.74e5 uptime is 2 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:/ap1g2-k9w8-mx.152-2.JB/ap1g2-k9w8-mx.152-2.JB"

cisco AIR-CAP1602I-E-K9 (PowerPC) processor (revision B0) with 98294K/32768K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FGL1722W78Y

PowerPC CPU at 533Mhz, revision number 0x2151

Last reset from power-on

LWAPP image version 7.4.100.0

1 Gigabit Ethernet interface

2 802.11 Radios

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address: FC:99:47:A3:74:E5

Part Number : 73-14671-04

PCA Assembly Number : 000-00000-00

PCA Revision Number :

PCB Serial Number : FOC17190B5K

Top Assembly Part Number : 800-38552-01

Top Assembly Serial Number : FGL1722W78Y

Top Revision Number : A0

Product/Model Number : AIR-CAP1602I-E-K9

Configuration register is 0xF

APfc99.47a3.74e5#sh inventory

NAME: "AP1600", DESCR: "Cisco Aironet 1600 Series (IEEE 802.11n) Access Point"

PID: AIR-CAP1602I-E-K9 , VID: V01, SN: FGL1722W78Y

APfc99.47a3.74e5#sh ip interface brief

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol

BVI1 unassigned YES DHCP up up

Dot11Radio0 unassigned NO unset up up

Dot11Radio1 unassigned NO unset up up

GigabitEthernet0 unassigned NO unset up up

GigabitEthernet0.1 unassigned YES unset up up

Good news - AP are now join to the WLC. I reset WLC to factory default, country BG, and from controller web page checked the Accept Self Signed Certificate (SSC) under Security/AP policy.

10x to all about advices - all of them are helpful!

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card