Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cannot ping an interface

Hi all,

I have decided to add a separate vlan/wlan to the network. This interface uses port 1 (My management interface uses port 2). I have connected the port to a router, which is connected to a gateway.

I checked and the routing is done correctly. When I connect a pc to the router, I have access to internet. However, when I connect to the wlan that's associated with the vlan on port 1, I not only cannot access internet, but also cannot ping the router.

I can ping the interface when I connect to the wlan. However, I cannot ping the router.

The same thing happens when I connect my pc to the router. I cannot ping the interface as well.

Is there something that I am missing? It seems that there is a connectivity issue in the connection between port 1 and the router. Should I try using a crossover cable and see if it solves my problem?

Thanks!

Tibet

10 REPLIES

Cannot ping an interface

Hi a few things ..

1. your wlc interface 1, its mapped to port 1, I suppose. Also what VLAN ID is in the interface ?

2. On the router, the port needs to be a switch port not routed port and have that same vlan

If you leave this VLAN ID blank on the WLC its assumed its not tagged (native vlan and trunked).

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Cannot ping an interface

Both are correct. The subnets are both 10.0.0.x. The controller is connected to the switch port. Vlan ID is 1. Its mapped to port 1.

If you consider router and the contoller being two separate units, they work fine. When I plug the computer to the router, it gets a 10.0.0.x IP and connects to the internet.

If I connect to the wlan associated with vlan 1, it gets a 10.0.0.x ip and can ping the interface. However, when I disable the router's dhcp and connect the controller to the switch port, the pc can get a 10.0.0.x IP and can ping the interface, but can not even ping the router. In the same setting, I tried connecting to the router and pinging the interface and the router cannot see the controller as well.

If you want I can draw how the wiring is and can printscreen my settings.

Cannot ping an interface

Can you do that and post your configs ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
VIP Purple

Cannot ping an interface

What is the WLC model you using ? Do you connect Router to directly to WLC port 2 ? Does router interface is 1G ?

Yes, post your topology diagram & specifically below CLI output of your WLC, Switch & router.

1. (WLC) >show interface summary

2. (WLC) >show interface detailed management

3. (WLC) >show interface detailed xxx (any other dynamic interfaces)

4. (WLC) >show port summary

WLC port 1 & port 2 connected device's  "show run interface x/x" output

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Cannot ping an interface

This is the network diagram (sorry if it's too simplistic as I am new to this). The WLC that I use is CT 2504. The router is connected as in the diagram (It supports 1Gbit connection). There might be something wrong in the wiring. I am sure that I did the routing correctly as when plug the wire that goes into port 1 to a pc, it can connect to the internet with the 10.0.0.x subnet. I will post the CLI output when I am in the office.

VIP Purple

Cannot ping an interface

Your diagram is very clear. You have few options here

Option 1

WLC port 1 & Router LAN port onto your switch (rather directly connecting router to WLC). In this way WLC connected switch port should be configured as trunk port & router connected switchport should be configured as access port for the vlan belongs to 10.0.0.0/24 network.

If you are thinking about creating multiple WLANs (in futrue) with your router as LAN gateway, then you should configure router connected switchport as trunkport & subinterface on your router LAN interface.

Option 2

Aggregate WLC port 1-2 into one single port channel & create a single trunk link between WLC & Switch. In this way you will get more bandwith for your user traffic.(usually mgt does not want dedicated 1G link). Then configure Router LAN interface connected switchport as access port (if you only require single WLAN) or trunk port (if you require multiple WLAN)

I prefer option 2 because of its flexibility & scalability. Let us know your choice & then accordingly we can help you to get this done.

Also post your WLC "show sysinfo" as well.

HTH

Rasika

Cannot ping an interface

I would like to choose option 2. However, I fear that this option is not possible with our office network as the switch there is unmanaged. Do I need to buy a managed switch for the trunk port setting?

If so, would SG200-50 serve my need?

VIP Purple

Re: Cannot ping an interface

Hi Tibet,

Yes, you should have managed switch  to do this proper. Regarding SG200-50, I haven't  used this product, but it is looks like GUI configurable switch & no CLI available.You may be able to do trunk config on that even though you may not able to customized.

Since you have enterprise level WLC, I prefer if you could have same grade of switch (even 8 port version) so that you can properly do config on your switch/WLC including QoS.

Check this (WS-C3560CG-8PC-S) model pricing is within your budget. In this way you can still using your un-managed switch for L2 user connection & new switch can act as L3 switch (to do intervlan routing) for WLC/other gateway devices connectivity.

HTH

Rasika

Cannot ping an interface

We have decided to buy WS-C3560X-24P-S for the office. I will contact you again when it arrives and if I have trouble setting it up.

Cannot ping an interface

Option 2 will suit you well for the future.

Still as we speak can you post show arp switch and show arp kernel and check if router's mac address is present there?

Also you can look on the router and check for the WLC port 1 MAC address.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content