Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

cannot see access points when switched from one controller to another controller.

Dear Folks,

Could you please advise, as i have existing wireless infrastructure consits of two WisM's running on version 6.0.188. I have added another controller of 5500 of version 7.0 to acheive redundant for other two controllers . Everything seems to be fine with configuration and mobility group was configured as controllers could see each other , but when i switch one access point to the new controller , i dont see them .
Is there anything i missed ?

Regards,

SID

• Getting Started with Wireless
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

cannot see access points when switched from one controller to an

You should keep the code version the same, or else everytime the AP moves from a WLC with a different code, it will need to upgrade or downgrad its code.  Now when you say it doesn't show up on the new wlc, is it joining the wlc or not?  You need to provide more info, like what modle AP? Did you console into the AP and see what the output shows?  Did the AP join back to the WiSM?

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Beside what Scott says, having two WLCs on same mobility group while they are on different code versoin may cause problems and mobility may not work as expected. Moreover, your msglog may be full of warning messages related to the mobility tunnel.

Best thing to do is to keep your WLC code consistent as just what Scott said.

If the problem persists (hope not) let us know.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Mobility group will only let the joined APs learn the WLC IPs on that mobility domain, for WLC selection you need to have HA configured on all the APs, without that configured APs will try to join least loaded wlc/master/backup wlcs that learnt through different mechanism however test capwap controller ip should let join the specific wlc.

Now another challenge is , i cannot upgrade the licenses from 5508-250 to 5508-500 , as minimum ios recommended is 7.0. ?

Yes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7.0.html#wp626190

Is there any way, I can do to upload the license, without having downtime of wireless network?

It depends on the 7.0 code that you're running. if you're on 7.2.103.0 then you can apply adder licenses without  rebooting the controller.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_2.html#wp855325

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

You should keep the code version the same, or else everytime the AP moves from a WLC with a different code, it will need to upgrade or downgrad its code.  Now when you say it doesn't show up on the new wlc, is it joining the wlc or not?  You need to provide more info, like what modle AP? Did you console into the AP and see what the output shows?  Did the AP join back to the WiSM?

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Beside what Scott says, having two WLCs on same mobility group while they are on different code versoin may cause problems and mobility may not work as expected. Moreover, your msglog may be full of warning messages related to the mobility tunnel.

Best thing to do is to keep your WLC code consistent as just what Scott said.

If the problem persists (hope not) let us know.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hello All ,

Thanks for the input. Infact, both the WisM 's and the new 5508 were part of the same mobility group and status showed up , but in the console , eventhough i forced the access point to join to 5508 , i saw the log which says connected to one of the WiSM's.

It worked fine, when i downgraded the 5508 from 7.0 to 6.0.199 and i tested AP's (1252, 1142) sucessfully getting connected to new 5508 controller.

Now another challenge is , i cannot upgrade the licenses from 5508-250 to 5508-500 , as minimum ios recommended is 7.0.

Is there any way, I can do to upload the license, without having downtime of wireless network .

Regards,

SID

Mobility group will only let the joined APs learn the WLC IPs on that mobility domain, for WLC selection you need to have HA configured on all the APs, without that configured APs will try to join least loaded wlc/master/backup wlcs that learnt through different mechanism however test capwap controller ip should let join the specific wlc.

Now another challenge is , i cannot upgrade the licenses from 5508-250 to 5508-500 , as minimum ios recommended is 7.0. ?

Yes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7.0.html#wp626190

Is there any way, I can do to upload the license, without having downtime of wireless network?

It depends on the 7.0 code that you're running. if you're on 7.2.103.0 then you can apply adder licenses without  rebooting the controller.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_2.html#wp855325

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.