Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CCNA Wireless home Lab

Hi All,

I am currently studying for my CCNA wireless, and looking to buy a home lab from eBay.

Am looking at buying an Cisco WLC 4402 (CISCO AIR-WLC4402-12-K9),

But am not sure which AP to buy and if they would be compatible, Am looking at;

2 x AP1131AG-E-K9 (Cisco 1131 Access point)

Would these AP be compatible with the 4402 WLC?

What version of the software does the WLC need to be for the CCNA Wireless?

Also would I be able to learning all CCNA Wireless features and clean air with these kit?

Many Thanks for your help.

Mohammed

Everyone's tags (1)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Hi Mohammed,Yes that AP model

Hi Mohammed,

Yes that AP model is compatible with 4402. If you are purchasing WLC, see whether you can have it with software version 7.0.x which is the last version supported by that WLC model. (otherwise you have to access the Cisco WLC software & upgrade the controller, which may not be the case with you)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#56735

Depending on where you are, try to choose AP model applicable to your regulatory domain. (eg -A for US, Canada, -E for Europe,Middle East, etc). See below for complete list

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1300-series/product_data_sheet0900aecd80537b6a.html

If you want to play with Clean Air feture with this controller model, then you need to have 3500 series AP model which has that feature & supported by that software version. All the other latest AP model required latest software which is not supported by 4402.

I would say for CCNA practice, 4400 & couple of AP is good enough to start with.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hall of Fame Super Silver

3502i would be the one I

3502i would be the one I would choose. Make sure that it's lightweight and get the show version. If you look at the image, K9W7 is autonomous and K9W8 is lightweight. The 3500, 2600, 3600, 3700 all support CleanAir with the use of a WLC.  You can get. 1242 or even an 1130 if you want to test autonomous. The 1130 has built in antennas and the 1242 you need antennas. As far as the AP's the 'I' is internal antenna and the 'e' require external antennas. So there are three models of the 3500, 3502i, 3502e and 3502p.... You want the 3502i unless you want to buy antennas then go with the 3502e. The 3502p is used with stadium antennas. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
9 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Hi Mohammed,Yes that AP model

Hi Mohammed,

Yes that AP model is compatible with 4402. If you are purchasing WLC, see whether you can have it with software version 7.0.x which is the last version supported by that WLC model. (otherwise you have to access the Cisco WLC software & upgrade the controller, which may not be the case with you)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#56735

Depending on where you are, try to choose AP model applicable to your regulatory domain. (eg -A for US, Canada, -E for Europe,Middle East, etc). See below for complete list

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1300-series/product_data_sheet0900aecd80537b6a.html

If you want to play with Clean Air feture with this controller model, then you need to have 3500 series AP model which has that feature & supported by that software version. All the other latest AP model required latest software which is not supported by 4402.

I would say for CCNA practice, 4400 & couple of AP is good enough to start with.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika,I asked the eBAY

Hi Rasika,

I asked the eBAY seller to send me the "show version" of WLC to confirm which software version it has on, once hes sent it, i'll post it on here.

Many Thanks and Much Appreciated!

Mohammed

You can also ask your seller

You can also ask your seller to maybe put on the code you want.  Make sure you also get the sow version when you buy access points as it might be autonomous or lightweight.  I would also ask for the show flash on the AP's.

You might also look at the WLC2504 which can use most of the newer code version and still can use the v7.0 that is the last supported code on the 4400.  The 2504, you can get cheap and might be cheaper than a used 4400.

Make sure that the country code for the access points is the proper country code for where you live!!!! This is important, because you will not be able to change that.

Please rate helpful post and Cisco Support Community will donate to Kiva

Scotty

-Scott

Hi Scott,I have asked my

Hi Scott,

I have asked my seller for the show version and for WLC and AP still awaiting.

The WLC 2504 seem like a decent WLC and I can buy a new one for just around £100 more the WLC 4402.

But Ive also seem a WLC 2106, so am abit confused now.

What the pro's and cons between each WLC's, and which one will be the best for CCNA Wireless and get good hands on training?

1. WLC 4402

2. WLC 2504

3. WLC 2106

With these WLC which AP's will be the best for testing and learning?

I live the UK

Mohammed

The 4400 and 2106 is end of

The 4400 and 2106 is end of sale and end of support. That's why I would get the 2504 if I were you. I have all three and the 2540 is what I have running at home. 

-Scott

Hi Scott,Thank you, I'll get

Hi Scott,

Thank you, I'll get the 2504 WLC.

In terms of AP, would the 3502, 1131 and 1242 compatible and do they need to be a certain software leave to work with the 2504 WLC?

Mohammed

3502i would be the one I

3502i would be the one I would choose. Make sure that it's lightweight and get the show version. If you look at the image, K9W7 is autonomous and K9W8 is lightweight. The 3500, 2600, 3600, 3700 all support CleanAir with the use of a WLC.  You can get. 1242 or even an 1130 if you want to test autonomous. The 1130 has built in antennas and the 1242 you need antennas. As far as the AP's the 'I' is internal antenna and the 'e' require external antennas. So there are three models of the 3500, 3502i, 3502e and 3502p.... You want the 3502i unless you want to buy antennas then go with the 3502e. The 3502p is used with stadium antennas. 

-Scott

Hi Scott,That's prefect!Many

Hi Scott,

That's prefect!

Mohammed

VIP Purple

Hi Mohammed,That's great if

Hi Mohammed,

That's great if you could get hold of 2504 you can test all latest features.

Regarding AP images, I would suggest to get hold of K9W7 (Autonomous) IOS code for the AP model you purchasing. This cannot be download from Cisco without a valid contract.

You may be able to download K9W8 recovery images (to connect to a controller) as a guest user from Cisco.com wihout having a valid contract.

One of the conversion method explain in below post & hope it may be useful to you.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

Enjoy your studies smiley

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses. That helps to donate $1 to Kiva***

Views
Helpful
Replies