Views
Helpful
Replies

CDP enabled on 1142 apps

Islam Sallaj
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Anyone know why some of the aps will have CDP enabled upon association with wlc and others will not? I have 3 5508 controllers on the network running over 900 aps.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Izzy

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

13 Replies 13

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

verify the local AP config and WLC's cdp global config for affected APs. also check the affected model no.

global cdp config,

check wireless>> Access Points>> Gloabl Configuration>> CDP>> CDP State>>

this can be overrided per AP,

Wireless>> Access Points>> All APs>> Select the AP>> Interfaces>> CDP configuration>>

Yeah I verified that...the controller config does have CDP state enabled. However the local ap does not. My point is if I'm firing up 20 aps at a time why do some accept the controller global config while others use their local config, regarding CDP option?

Local cdp config overrides the global cdp for that AP on that WLC.

Ok,

I guess my next question would be is how does that locally get configured on install? What's the default config? And why is one brand new ap configured differently from anger brand new ap...

What's the solution to over right the local ap? Keep in mind I have over 1000 access points. How do I know what ap is locally configure to not enable CDP?

I'm thinking CDP my be the cause of my last post regarding the in power summary where come aps show up as IEEE pd rather...

Thanks

Izzy

By default, CDP on ethernet/gig interface is enabled & it is disabled on radio interfaces.

without joining the AP to wlc check the cdp status on the AP.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CDP is enabled by default on the AP. you can disable it and enable it globally. When I see IEEE on the power, it's usually cabling issues. I had a project where 95% of the patch cables caused APs not to come up or they negotiated at 100 mb not at a gig.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I had a project where 95% of the patch cables caused APs not to come up or they negotiated at 100 mb not at a gig.

And what happened to the supplier of the patch cables?

Well the company who did the cabling had to replace all the cables. The funny thing is that even though these tested fine with a Fluke tester, the AP would not negotiate or join correctly. We had the installers use canned air to blow out any dirt or dust in the Ethernet port and in the biscuit jack. That fixed some of the issues but was a nightmare.

-Scott

Well the company who did the cabling had to replace all the cables. The funny thing is that even though these tested fine with a Fluke tester, the AP would not negotiate or join correctly.  We had the installers use canned air to blow out any dirt or dust in the Ethernet port and in the biscuit jack. That fixed some of the issues but was a nightmare.

Interesting Scott.

Oh well, part of your tools (for TDR) is Cisco switches. 

Which makes this even more confusing because we have CDP enabled globally but the local is not enabled. Yet you are saying default locally is enabled....do u see my confusion/frustration here?

I guess I can create a template enabling CDP and push it out to ensure that all aps have CDP enabled.

Are we sure that the IEEE issue is not code based?

I agree that some cabling was changed or modified and that resolved the IEEE issue, however I'm now finding aps that show up as IEEE pd that work fine...again I'm trying to prevent a management nightmare of replace/troubleshooting disassociated aps dude to this IEEE issue

izzy

CDP is enabled on the Ethernet port (which you need) by default. Globally overrides the local configuration. By default like mentioned earlier, radio cdp is not enabled. This doesn't affect your cdp the switch sees. It doesn't matter if you enable cdp locally or globally, if you see IEEE on the power or if you see 100 Mbps connection, check you cabling. If that is the issue, well it will be a nightmare:) happened to me!

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have used the TDR also, but the weird thing is that only a few would come back as completed. The issue with patch cables and or ceiling tile particles getting in the Ethernet port or biscuit jack has happened in a few different projects.

-Scott

If the AP is connected to a trunk port, the AP will not display the cdp neighbor information. But the switch will show the AP in its CDP neighbor list

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card