Views
Helpful
Replies

Centrinos taking longer time to associate with 1240AP

bensoncyleo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade from my existing 350 AP to 1240 AP and has setup a 1240 for testing. While testing, I found out that centrino laptops takes a longer time to associate with the AP then laptops with cisco B cards. The Centrino laptops would takes from 5secs to 2mins while Cisco cards just takes about 2secs to associate with the 1240. I am using Odyssey clients with EAP for authentication. Then I found out that the default authentication port on the 1240 and 350 AP are different and have corrected it. However, the problem remains the same. Any advise would be appreciated.

Benson

4 Replies 4

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

Did you try disabling Aironet extensions on the AP. Since you are using non-cisco client cards its always recommended to disable aironet extensions on the AP. This should solve the problem.

Yes. I disabled Aironet extension, upgraded my Centrino driver and set the power management mode of the Centrino to max performance. However, Centrino laptops still takes longer time to associate to the AP. Thanks for your comments.

kf6pfk
Level 1
Level 1

You're not alone, I'm seeing the same, or a very similar problem. I'm using PEAP and it usally gets stuck authenticating. After about 2 minutes it will connect and then it will run okay. I haven't found the answer yet.

rduke
Level 1
Level 1

That's interesting, I have not seen that problem and I am using a number of Intel clients, and have a few using the Odyssey client. Intel did have some driver issues on the earlier versions according to their web site, but say it is fixed.

You should try turning on radius debugging on your AP to see if there is an authentication delay.

debug radius authentication

Look at the timestamps to see where the delays are. Good luck. My clients authenticate within 3 sec or less.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card