Views
Helpful
Replies

Certificates on WLC

vijay kumar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi all,

Can I able to use the single unchained certificate for both webadmin login and web auth portal in WLC?

Thanks,

Vijay.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is correct.... they are two different certs.  Management certs usually you would acquire a cert from an internal CA.  That's how I have done mine in the past.  I only use a 3rd party cert for webauth.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can, but if your purchasing a new cert from a certificate vendor, they will all be chained certificates. The reason being is that last year or so, the cert vendors moved from a 1024bit root to a 2048bit root. Also Microsoft made the push on their end that caused this to happen.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Thanks for the reply scott. But while submitting the CSR i have given the virtual interface name (EX:guest.company.com)

So, whether this certificate will work for managment interface as well ?

Thanks,

Vijay.

It will work, but WebAuth and management is setup different. You will have two DNS entries. 2048 is what's typically used these days. 1024 should still work.

-Scott

Hi Scott ,

I got only deicve certificate and intermediate certificate from my CA . But i didnt get root CA certificate .

Whther I can be able to do this without root CA file ?

Thanks ,

Vijay.

You can open up the device cert in windows and extract the root and or the intermediate. Or go ask them to send you the root and they will.

-Scott

Thanks scott for the quick reply . If i am using chained certificate, then i cant use this for manament access?

It is mentioned in the below link .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080a77592.shtml

Note:

Chained certificates are supported for web authentication only; they           are not supported for the management certificate.

Thanks ,

Vijay.

That is correct.... they are two different certs.  Management certs usually you would acquire a cert from an internal CA.  That's how I have done mine in the past.  I only use a 3rd party cert for webauth.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thanks a lot Mr.scott for the clarification...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card