Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Challenging Deployment - Looking for Advice

Hi All

We've been asked to come up with a proposal for a wireless network in a theatre but it has some specific requirements.

Each night, about 300 audience members will need to connect to the wireless on their phones or tablets and access a basic internet site to provide some details.  Bandwidth usage will be minimal, but they'll probably allo try and do this within a 15-30 minute window.  Outside this time, the network will probably be used by a few staff for general browsing around the theatre and occasional guest use.

They know its probably not going to be cheap, and we need to scale for the 300 users but also be sensible with regards to general use.  I was probably going to be looking at a 2500 WLC (as this is what we've deployed before, including in their office) but as you can guess I having trouble working out the number of APs to deploy (probably 1600s or 2600s).  I know the general consensus is about 20 users per AP but I'm not sure of the impact of more that this for a very small period of time.

Any advice or suggestions for things to consider would be greatly appreciated.  As an aside, I'm having a look at the Meraki solution as well as it looks like it has some features that could be useful in this situation. However, I have no idea how it would compare from a cost point of view at the moment.

Thanks

Joe

• Getting Started with Wireless
Everyone's tags (5)
2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

No matter what vendor, you still need to keep it around 25 to be safe. You limited to the Ethernet or gigabit interface.  I have seen numbers in the 50's where performance was bad and clients were not to happy... even around 30 per AP, some areas complained.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
VIP Purple

HI Joe,

1. First do the site survey or can be done with the help of professional support partner to find out the exact number of AP req and rf coverage or any kind of interference.

2. For Theater 2504 WLC will work perfectly becaus of only one location (you can buy a WLC with 25 AP license)

3. But 2504 WLC dont allow to assign per user bandwidth limitation but 5508 WLC can.

4. If you have enough budget then you can also go for Redudent WLC.

One with full AP capacity license other other as HA SKU license meand zero AP license(primary fails then it will take over)

Regards

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.