Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

change the primary controller ip on AP from WLC GUI issue

After the change i save the configuration and reset AP, but it sill reconnected to controller 1. My task is to move about 100Ap from WLC1 to WLC2. Any idea why it connected to wlc1 not wlc2. What is the easitest way to do this?

Thanks

Ray

15 REPLIES

Are the WLC in the same mobiltiy group, and configured on each WLC?

Is AP Failover enabled? < controller General tab >

Did you set the sysname and IP address for primary/secondary?

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

No they are in different group. You can think they are totally isolated. I just want to move this AP to another WLC. That is it.

Only primary WLC is configured.

Ok.  The WLC can be in different groups so long as they are aware of each other.  You do need to make sure the IP address is correct for cross moblity group failover to work.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Stephen,

It is not for failover. I just need to move one AP from one controller to another controller. That is it. I think it is simple and just modify the primary controller ip and then reset the AP. But the issue is the AP is still reconnected the old controller even the new controller ip is shown on the primary controller filed after reset ap..

I understand that.  But to move an AP between WLC, you need to have mobility up between the WLC, even if it's just temporarily. 

Steve

hmm. I did not try that. There is no mobility group set up between these 2 WLC...

I will try it.

Hi Stephen,

One example is I have wlc1 in US and I have another wlc2 in UK. I have then 10 AP connected to WLC1. If I want to ship them to UK and connect to WLC2, I have to create the mobility group for wlc1 and wlc2 so that the 10 AP can connect to WLC2.

If that is the case, I would say cisco needs to re-design this.  But I will try if enable mobility group works or not.

Thanks

Ray

Honestly, i wouldn't join my AP for the UK to a WLC in the US. 

For the UK AP to join the WLC in the US, you would need to enable the GB county code, wHile you can have multiple country codes running on the same WLC you do limit yourself as to power and channel.

HTH,
Steve

Nah. You missed my point. I will ship the AP to UK and let them to connect to UK WLC.Since the AP have connected to US WLC, I need to change the primary controller IP on the AP, right. But even with this change, the AP will not connect to the UK WLC unless I have to create the moblity group between these 2 wlc which confused me..

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: change the primary controller ip on AP from WLC GUI issue

You just need to set the access point high availability to the WLC you want and remove the existing. As long as that is there after a reboot, when you move the AP's and power it up, it knows of the primary WLC it needs to join. Now everything else like country domain needs to be in place.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

that is what I thought, but from test with 2 wlc, the test AP still connected to wlc1 not wlc2. the only change is at high availability, I changed the primary controler ip to wlc2 ip, save and reset the AP. The AP is still connected to WLC1..

It will work if you move the AP's. If your trying to join a WLC that across the pond, the AP will still want to join the closer WLC. It works because I do it all the time.

The only other way is erase the nvram to make it like a brand new AP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

How the AP select the closer one? From the document, it will try to connect the wlc which has been configured with primary wlc. So I though if I changed the primary controler IP, it should connect to wlc2..

I have cut a ticket and will get back to you.

update:

It is the AP policy blocked the AP to join the wlc2. After I added the MIC of the AP into the list, It joined..

Thanks all for the help.

Cheers.

Well the reason I stated that is because you mentioned that one WLC is in the US and the other is in Europe, so there might me messages being lost during the discover that is causing the AP to still join the other WLC which it will still know of since your not erasing the flash.

At least you figured out it was a configuration that was blocking the join process.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content