cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

change the WLC's IP

robert.huang
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 5508WLC and 12 APs(AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9) deployed in our company. The APs are using static IPs(don't know why previous support person chose this way). WLC and APs are on different subnets. Now we have a task to change the IP of the WLC. Say change from current 10.54.15.88 to 10.64.15.88. I can take care of the layer2 and layer3 setup. The most important thing for me is that after the WLC's IP changing, those APs are still be able to join the WLC.

Here's my plan.

on the WLC, set up the new WLC's IP and name as the primary controller for each AP, then reload the WLC. Since now all the APs have the primary controller's IP configured, once they lose connectivity to the old WLC's IP, they should be able to find the the new WLC's IP and join it.

Please provide any suggestions. I don't want to unmount the APs from the ceiling and console in to configure.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you only have one WLC, the easiest way is to allow the broadcast.  On the AP vlan layer 3 interface, assign a new ip helper addres pointing to the new ip of the WLC.  Then globally on the l3 switch, configure ip forward-protocol udp 5246.  Then you can rename the WLC and change the ip address and reboot.  After they join you can remove the configuration.

You can also setup option 43 or dns to help the ap's find the wlc.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you only have one WLC, the easiest way is to allow the broadcast.  On the AP vlan layer 3 interface, assign a new ip helper addres pointing to the new ip of the WLC.  Then globally on the l3 switch, configure ip forward-protocol udp 5246.  Then you can rename the WLC and change the ip address and reboot.  After they join you can remove the configuration.

You can also setup option 43 or dns to help the ap's find the wlc.

-Scott

Thank you Scott for your reply. Your suggestion definitely works for DHCP clients.

Just out of curiosity, according to my plan, I manually configure the new WLC's IP as the primary controller for each AP. Will the AP still be able to join the WLC after reloading the WLC?

Robert

I don't think that will work, because part of the AP knowing that infor is from the mobility group info.  You can try, it won't hurt.

-Scott

Thanks Scott.

Just want to confirm with you. As I mentioned in my first post. The APs are using static IP right now. Which mean the APs won't send out DHCP request. I'm afraid the command of "ip helper-address" on the layer3 interface won't work for client using static IP.

It will still work for the clients… I do it all the time☺

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card