Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Change Which Controller Is Primary and Which One is Secondary in HA Pair

I have a pair of 5508's in an HA configuration and I want to swap their roles.  Currently the Secondary Controller is Active and I want to make it the Primary Controller because a previous engineer installed the licenses on it instead of the primary which,of course caused it to inherit the licenses.  So basically:

Primary Controller (Standby Hot) - 12 AP License

Secondary Controller (Active) - Inherited 12 AP License, however, has a 50 AP license installed.

What would be the best way to do this?  Do I need to go into the CLI and disable redundancy and then reconfigure which one is primary and which one is secondary?

Any input would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Oh, and they're on 7.4.110.0

Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Change Which Controller Is Primary and Which One is Secondar

That is correct... Minimum is 50 for the HA. The license will move from the primary to the HA on failover. The primary is the only WLC that you have to buy license.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
10 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Change Which Controller Is Primary and Which One is Secondary in

Hi,

If you have HA configured with Prima/secondary WLC with HA-SKU licence then I dont think u can change it.

And if you just want redundency then you can configure as Primary and secondary.

You can now configure the name and the management interface IP addresses of the primary, secondary, and tertiary controllers for each AP from the Wireless > Access Points > All APs > Select AP > High Availability Configuration page on the controller. With the IP address information, each AP can now send discovery messages to the primary, secondary controllers.

Regards

VIP Purple

If you have enough licence on both controller then you can easily change primary and secondary as per my last post.

Thanks

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Just to add... If you have licensed WLC's, since the initially had 12 ap license, it's not the HA Sku. To have the ability to do HA AP SSO or N+1, your backup, let's call it you HA pair, needs a minimum 50 AP license. This allows you to only have to buy license for the primary WLC and not for both.

Depending on your budget and what you really want to do, you have 3 choices of redundancy:

? Both WLC have licenses and you can balance the AP load.. Half on one and half on the other for example

? HA AP SSO which you have to have 50 AP license in the backup HA WLC

? N+1 which you have to have 50 AP license on the backup HA WLC

-Scott

Scott Fella wrote:

Just to add... If you have licensed WLC's, since the initially had 12 ap license, it's not the HA Sku. To have the ability to do HA AP SSO or N+1, your backup, let's call it you HA pair, needs a minimum 50 AP license. This allows you to only have to buy license for the primary WLC and not for both.

Depending on your budget and what you really want to do, you have 3 choices of redundancy:

? Both WLC have licenses and you can balance the AP load.. Half on one and half on the other for example

? HA AP SSO which you have to have 50 AP license in the backup HA WLC

? N+1 which you have to have 50 AP license on the backup HA WLC

The second and third option appear to be the same... typo?

It is not. AP SSO is different that N+1

-Scott

Oh, OK.  Let me see if I understand this correctly.

In order to configure the pair as AP SSO, it has to be like this:

Primary (Valid Permanent AP Base Count)

Secondary (At Least a 50 AP Base Count)

However, even if the secondary has the 50 AP Base count license, it is going to inherit the license of the primary controller.  So since I have a 12 AP Permanant license on my primary, the secondary will show it is licensed for 12 AP's when it takes over, correct? 

The only way to increase this would be to buy more licenses for my Primary Controller if I understand correctly.

That is correct... Minimum is 50 for the HA. The license will move from the primary to the HA on failover. The primary is the only WLC that you have to buy license.

-Scott

Going back to the original

Going back to the original question, is there a way to do this?

Our primary WLC is a 5508-50. The secondary is a 5508-100. The 50 AP license is prevailing regardless of which controller is active.

OK, I ended up switching them

OK, I ended up switching them, but first, to avoid an identity crisis:

WLC1 = original WLC with 50 licenses; currently primary/standby

WLC2 = new WLC with 100 licenses; currently secondary/active

I disabled SSO, which rebooted both controllers. WLC2 booted and became active. Then, in the Redundancy section of the GUI, I told it to be the primary unit, then re-enabled SSO; so, it rebooted as primary/active.

Meanwhile, WLC1's interfaces had been disabled upon reboot to avoid IP conflict when disabling SSO. Via console, I told it to switch to secondary, but before I could do that, I had to enable adminmode on all the ports (or something along those lines, been a long day). Then I enabled SSO; it rebooted as secondary, and the 100 AP license prevailed.

Mission accomplished!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content